She-Hulk: A Mean, Green Attorney Machine  

She-Hulk breaking the fourth wall…again. (Photo Credit: Marvel Entertainment/Disney+)

A lawyer with green skin, standing tall at 6 feet and 7 inches; what could go wrong?  

Jennifer “Jen” Walters was a 30-something single lawyer that happened to be related to the Hulk, also known as Bruce Banner. Jen’s somewhat normal life took a turn very quickly after a freak accident left her mean and green. 

Tatiana Maslany plays Jen in the new Marvel Disney Plus series; She-Hulk: Attorney at Law. The show follows her as she tries to navigate these unprecedented events in her personal and work life.  

Marvel explores a new universe with this show, somehow normalizing a Hulk attorney. This has received exceedingly mixed reviews, but personally I think the show isn’t that bad. Yes, it’s different from the usual projects Marvel produces, but I think that is needed to reach a broader audience.  

She-Hulk set in today’s world is what makes it relatable, despite the fact Jen is a Hulk.  

Online dating, slang and the challenges she faces as a female attorney allow you to submerge yourself in a superhero’s day-to-day life in modern society. 

Jen connects with the audience by breaking the fourth wall several times throughout the series, which is something I am beginning to warm up to. At first, I thought it was a little cringey, (at times it still is) but I can see the appeal to others.  

The show has also brought in various big names, such as Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner, Benedict Wong as Wong, Tim Roth as Emil Blonsky and Megan Thee Stallion as…well, herself. She-Hulk is coming in strong with the cameos and is rumored to have more surprise guests that will reveal themselves in the series’ upcoming episodes.  

I think She-Hulk is something Marvel can expand, and hopefully improve on in the future. It’s been a good addition to phase four as it starts to come to an end.  

Episodes will continue to be released every Thursday at 3 a.m. for the next four weeks.