“That 90’s Show” on Netflix: A new take on a loved television series 

Graphic credit: Isabel Costello
Graphic credit: Isabel Costello

Decades pass and a lot can change, but sometimes a basement, shared friends and laughs never truly change.   

“That 90’s Show” a Netflix adaptation brings back the feel-good comedy from the original sitcom “That 70’s Show.” Ten episodes were made available for streaming on the platform Jan. 19, 2023.  

The original “That 70’s Show” (1998-2006) centered around a group of teenagers and their love for each other and anything green. The new series “That 90’s Show” has provided the same comedic relief in the same basement, while also featuring returning fan favorite characters.  

The spinoff focuses on Leia Forman, daughter of Donna and Eric Forman. The story follows her as she goes to live with her grandparents for the summer. The good cop bad cop couple that is Red and Kitty Forman take her in for the summer and re-open the beloved basement after all this time. Leia befriends a group of teenagers, some with familiar names from the first show. Focusing on young love, braving the idea of change and adulthood, this show displays the heartfelt and funny aspects of growing up. 

Some returning actors in the new spinoff from “That 70’s Show” include Kurtwood Smith who plays Red, Debra Jo Rupp who plays Kitty, Laura Prepon as Donna, Topher Grace as Eric, Mila Kunis as Jackie and Ashton Kutcher acting as Kelso. As many of these actors cameos were short, they made the transition from a different decade easier to watch.  

“That 90’s Show” is an enjoyable watch as it keeps to the simplicity of being a fun, troublesome teenager while having uplifting moments. It is a solid show and tough to criticize, as the idea of what it will be about is straight forward.  

It has been on the top ten shows in the U.S. today since its release week. The season ends on a perfect cliffhanger to set up for a second season. So, if there is ever a need for a corny joke turn on “That 90’s Show” and binge away.