“Guts” by Olivia Rodrigo Review 

Photo Credit: Flickr

Olivia Rodrigo’s sophomore album has been highly anticipated since the release of her debut album “Sour” in May of 2021.

This new album titled “Guts” was released on Sept. 8 following the release of two singles off the album, “vampire” and “bad idea right?” During the week of Sept. 16, Rodrigo’s first single off the album “vampire” has moved up the Billboard top 100s chart to number 9. 

Rodrigo’s music has garnered multiple Tik Tok trends after just a week of being released due to its candid lyrics and catchy beats. This new album focuses a lot on growing up and how difficult it is transitioning from teenage years to adult hood. This can be seen through the last track on the album titled “teenage dream.’’ In this track, Rodrigo talks about how there is less forgiveness for mistakes as you age, and she is worried about people disliking her as she gets older. This can be seen as a theme throughout the album in other songs such as “making the bed”. 

True to her nature, there are multiple gut wrenching break up ballads on the album such as “logical” and “the grudge.” These songs are more mature than her first hits such as ‘Driver’s License’ as she moves into more themes of two sides to a breakup and moving away the younger sounding voice of “sour.” This hits a chord with listeners because of how she has aged with her main audience.   

There are also more angsty songs in the album that have an edgy sound and feel to them. Tracks such as “get him back” and “bad idea right?” have already amassed huge numbers of videos on Tik Tok where people have created choreography to the angry lyrics.   

This album in general is a more mature version of Rodrigo than her previous album from two years ago and has already had a very positive reaction from fans. The album is catchy and on brand for the singer as she makes her path in the music industry defining herself as an artist and paving the way for a long successful career.