65th Grammy Awards: a banal and record-breaking night 

Photo credit: Unsplash

The biggest night in music has come and gone. The 65th Grammy Awards was hosted at the Crypto.com Arena in Los Angeles. It was a lacking, yet history-making ceremony.  

To kick off the night, Bad Bunny performed two songs off of his latest album, “Un Verano Sin Ti.” The performance was bright and full of life. It was an exciting opening to the night, setting hopes high. 

Comedian Trevor Noah hosted the show for the third consecutive year. Armed with experience, he flowed through his monologue with ease, sprinkling his signature political jokes throughout the night, receiving a positive response from viewers at the arena and at home alike. 

The first award of the evening for Best Pop Vocal Album went to Harry Styles for “Harry’s House,” and Best R&B Song went to “Cuff It” by Beyoncé. With this award, Beyoncé had tied the record for the most Grammy wins of all time.  

Best Country Album was awarded to Willie Nelson for “A Beautiful Time.” Sam Smith and Kim Petras won Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for their song “Unholy,” making Petras the first trans woman to win the award.  

The night was full of performances. Lizzo dazzled and captivated with raw vocals for her songs “About Damn Time” and “Special.” Harry Styles’ rendition of “As It Was” was strained, initially attributed to his lack of experience with singing and choreography. It was later revealed that the turntable he was performing on spun in the opposite direction of which he rehearsed with prior.  

Kendrick Lamar took home Best Rap Album for “Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers.” Beyoncé won Best Dance/Electronic Music Recording with “Break My Soul”, officially making her the artist with the most Grammy wins.  

The Grammys also paid tribute to artists and those in the music industry who have passed over the last year. Kacey Musgraves, Quavo, and more performed in memoriam of Loretta Lynn, Takeoff, Christine McVie, and others. 

Hip-hop icons collaborated on a performance to celebrate 50 years of hip-hop. Questlove of the Roots produced a medley featuring over 20 songs spanning various movements and years. The performance featured the likes of Missy Elliot, Nelly, and Lil Uzi Vert, and effectively showcased the evolution of hip-hop. 

The award for Best Pop Solo Performance was presented to Adele for “Easy on Me,” and Song of the Year went to Bonnie Raitt’s “Just Like That.” Lizzo was given Record of the Year for “About Damn Time,” and Samara Joy won Best New Artist.  

Finally, the grand prize of the evening, Album of the Year, was awarded to Harry Styles for “Harry’s House.”  

While some stars shined brighter than others, the ceremony was mundane overall, as many award shows have become over recent years. You can find a full list of winners here.