2024 Grammy’s Award Winners Review

Photo Credit: Flickr

The 66 annual Grammy Awards were held Feb. 4 and highlighted the best artists and music of the year before. A night of performances, emotions and accolades, the yearly show never disappoints; until someone gets snubbed.  

2023 was a great year for music, filled with artist comebacks, a smattering of hit albums and lots and lots of Taylor Swift. All genres were blessed with iconic releases, with pop dominating the charts. As of Sunday, the committee has spoken and it’s time to get into the big winners from the show. 

Let’s start with our lord and savior Taylor Swift. She practically owned the world this year with The Eras Tour, “1989 Taylor’s Version” and three albums topping the charts (“Lover,” “1989 TV” and “Midnights”). It’s no surprise that “Midnights” was crowned Album of the Year. This year’s pool was tough; “GUTS,” “Endless Summer Vacation,” “the record,” “SOS” and “World Music Radio” highlighted the field. All are incredibly solid albums, yet “Midnights” stands above the rest on sheer notoriety. With this win, Swift became the first artist to win the award four times. She previously won for “Fearless” in 2009, “1989” in 2015 and “Folklore” in 2020. As a bonus, shortly after her win, she announced her new album “The Tortured Poets Department,” will be releasing April 19. I, like most Swifties, was screaming, crying and throwing up. I still am.  

Record of the Year was another pop loaded category. Miley Cyrus completed her comeback era, taking home the award with “Flowers,” a feel-good, disco-funk style song exuding self-love and confidence. Rising from the ashes of controversy, Cyrus has continued to find her sound and is feeling herself this year. I am all for it. I personally have always enjoyed her intense, lower register sound. She owns it all through “Endless Summer Vacation,” and it really showcases her evolution as an artist. For the story alone, “Flowers” was the no brainer choice for the award. Get it, Miley! 

Jack Antonoff was all over the charts this year as a producer. Best known for his work as the man behind Taylor Swift’s hits, he produced for Lana Del Rey and The 1975 on their latest works, crowning him the king of producers. The closest to him in the running was Metro Boomin, who was all over the rap scene with Drake, 21 Savage, Young Thug, Travis Scott and more. If there’s one thing you can count on, it’s for Metro Boomin to make it boom. However, Jack Antonoff has a reputation, and it really showed up this year.  

Finally, the newcomers. Best New Artist had a lot of fan favorites in the nominations. Ice Spice, Jelly Roll, Noah Kahan, Gracie Abrams and Victoria Monet headlined the nominees. Monet won the award, but it’s not her first time in the Grammy’s spotlight. Monet has gathered nominations for songs she wrote for Ariana Grande, Chris Brown, Kendrick Lamar and Blackpink. Her work with Grande on “thank u, next” and “positions” tops her writing resume, in my opinion. The author behind Ariana’s iconic bars and sound deserves so much credit. Breaking into the industry with her first solo album, Monet showcased her ability to sing and write, gathering a devout fan base and making her the choice for Best New Artist. Personally, I would have loved to see Gracie Abrams win. She’s come a long way since her debut album “Minor,” and has a sweet and infectious sound she carries through her discography. It’s raw and simple. Noah Kahan is arguably the biggest artist in this category, having garnered a massive following over the four years he has been releasing music. “Stick Season” has all the makings of a successful album and it’s a real surprise Kahan didn’t win the award.  

This wraps up my review of the big categories at the 2024 Grammy Awards. Less controversy than last year, besides Beyoncé having the most nominations and coming home empty handed. Award season isn’t over yet, with the Oscars taking place in early March.