10 Rom Coms to watch this Valentines Day 

Valentine’s Day can be an exciting or dreadful day. Whatever your plans might be, why not settle in, grab some comfort food and watch a movie? With so many to choose from, we have you covered with a few recommendations.  

“The Princess Bride” (1987) 

Available on Hulu, Disney plus (or DVD if you still go to the library), “The Princess Bride” is synonymous with romantic comedy. The film weaves together a beautiful love story full of wit, action and classic one liners. “Westley” and “Buttercup’s” journey captures the essence of the fairy tale trope’s while creating memorable moments in every scene. Fans of fairy tales will find this an instant classic. 

“Love Simon” (2018) 

This novel adaptation explores the life of a closeted high school teenager “Simon”, coming to terms with his identity. He begins to fall for an anonymous pen pal, ‘Blue’, while dealing with the threat of blackmail from a classmate. Both a coming-of-age story and rom-com, “Love Simon” is a sweet story that tackles high school drama, relationships and sexuality, all with a touch of romance. This movie is currently available on Hulu. 

“Clueless” (1995) 

Playing matchmaker, giving makeovers, and finding self-worth all at once (as if)? This classic film follows popular high school student “Cher” as she becomes friends with the new transfer student and turns her life around. It’s a truly iconic teen film that adds humor to the typical school drama storyline. Available on Paramount and Showtime. 

“La La Land” (2016) 

What’s better than a romantic comedy with music? Praised for it’s colorful cinematography and a fairy tale like score, “La La Land” is a wonderful film that is a joy from start to finish. Aspiring jazz pianist “Sebastian” and hopeful playwright “Mia” cross paths and explore an unlikely relationship while dealing with LA life. Full of energetic musical numbers and a blockbuster feel, this Oscar winner should be on your watch list this Valentines Day. I highly recommend having a box of tissues on hand for this watch. “La La Land” is available to stream with ads on Tubi. 

“Twilight” (2010) 

Here me out. It might be a cheesy vampire film, but there is a cute love story between the awkward acting. Kristen Stewarts melodramatic “Bella” plays opposite to Robert Pattinsons brooding and obsessive “Edward”, a vampire who transfers to Bella’s school. Bella figures out Edward’s secret and the two grow closer. The comedy is in the overdramatic dialogue, weird but cute special effects and the cliche narrative. There really is a decent love story in the middle of the cringe and there is no time like the present to give it a watch. “Twilight” is available on PlutoTV with ads or for rent on Apple TV and Amazon Prime Video.  

“10 Things I Hate About You” (1999) 

A classic romantic comedy with a great cast, this film follows “Kat” and “Bianca” (Julia Stiles and Larisa Oleynik) as they both step into the world of dating, with their overprotective dad looming over them. The shy student “Cameron” (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) seeks the help of the rebel “Patrick” (Heath Ledger) to win over Bianca by having Patrick date Kat. Things get messy when Patrick and Kat start to have feelings for each other. Complicated relationships, drama and coming of age tropes are littered across this film. “10 Things I Hate About You” has that classic teen romance feel to it making it a perfect choice for this Valentine’s Day. This film is available to stream on Disney Plus and Hulu.  

“Titanic” (1997) 

One of the highest grossing films of all time, “Titanic” is a no brainer for a romantic comedy. The classic tale of Jack and Rose as they sail on the fated ship tugs at the heartstrings and turns cold as the two fall deeper into love. Iconic romantic scenes accompanied by a beautiful orchestral score make this film a joy to watch (and cry to). Titanic is available on Paramount Plus.  

Crazy, Stupid, Love” (2011) 

Another Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling rom-com, a failing marriage kickstarts another in this wild and comedic fever dream of a film. Complete with a diverse cast of characters, the film stacks intersecting love stories on top of each other that clash heavily and create a chaotic but hilarious ending. Sarcastic quips and sweet moments complement each other through the dumb and messy plot. I highly recommend watching this and “La La Land” back-to-back. This film is available to watch on HBO Max.  

“Better Off Dead” (1985) 

Continuing the list of stupid and silly movies, John Cusack stars in this 1985 cult classic. “Lane Meyer” attempts to win back his girlfriend with the help of his eccentric best friend. He ends up befriending the French foreign exchange student “Monique”, finding love through a series of satirical bits, and pointed humor. It captures the energy of “Ferris Bullers Day Off’, with an unlikely romantic twist. “Better Off Dead” is available on Showtime.  

“Love Actually” (2003) 

“Love Actually” follows the stories of 10 couple’s relationships, as they slowly begin to intertwine with each other. Featuring an ensemble mostly British cast, each story connects to the next as the plot progresses. This all builds to a grand ending that completes a feel-good movie. It might be a Christmas film, but it’s heartwarming and begs to be watched with hot cocoa and a blanket.