Learning about healthy relationships at SUNY Brockport 

Getty Images/iStockphoto
3d social media notification neon light love like heart icon in red rounded square pin isolated on light blue green pastel color wall background with shadow 3D rendering

On Thursday, Feb. 3, SUNY Brockport’s Prevention and Outreach Services held an informational presentation in the Seymour College Union with the purpose of educating students on the signs and the differences between unhealthy, healthy and toxic relationships. 

For many students, college is about discovery, preparing for the future, learning new things and potentially being exposed to different types of relationships. It’s important for students to know the difference between healthy, unhealthy and toxic relationships and recognize the positive or negative signs of the relationship one could potentially be investing in.  

SUNY Brockport freshman and member of Prevention and Outreach Services, Marcus Coney, explains how important it is to know these signs and how knowing and educating others could be beneficial in the long run. 

“College is about trying new things of which include testing relationships with other people, or simply being in a relationship,” Coney said. “Many of us are still very young. It’s important for us to realize the signs immediately of a toxic or unhealthy relationship because college is such an important time in our life. A toxic relationship can extremely hinder a student’s ability to grow and succeed.” 

According to the presentation, a healthy relationship consists of mutual trust, respect, support, open and honest communication. As well as separate identities, interests and boundaries.  

An unhealthy relationship was explained to be centered around breaks in communication, pressure, dishonesty, struggles for control and inconsiderate behavior. 

A toxic relationship being the worst of all three, was described to be controlled, isolated and where the couples spend too much time together. In other words, a relationship consisting of any form of emotional, sexual, physical, financial and spiritual danger can be considered toxic.  

SUNY Brockport student and member of Prevention and Outreach Services, Riley Johnson explained how the benefits of knowing the signs could not only help students, but peers outside of campus as well. 

“Some of our own friends and family could be in concerning relationships. Once recognizing the signs it’s important to either be there to support someone as an outsider looking in, or even just knowing them to know what to avoid and look out for,” Johnson said.  

There are many on and off campus resources available to Brockport students recommended by Prevention and Outreach Services to students in need of any help or assistance. These resources including Prevention and Outreach Services, would include Hazen, Willow Domestic Violence Center and Title IX. 

For more information contact: 

• Hazen counseling and health center: (585) 395-2414 
  • Prevention and outreach services B14: mahall@ brockport.edu 
  • RESTORE: 1(800)-527-1757 
  • University Police: (585) 395-2222 
  • Willow Domestic Violence Center: (585) 232-7353 
  • Title IX- Denine Carr: (585) 395-5042