SUNY Brockport students call for a cease-fire in Gaza

Kimberly Young
Students during today’s protests at SUNY Brockport.

Dozens of students organized at the flagpoles on the SUNY Brockport campus at 12:30 p.m. Thursday, April 25 to call for a cease-fire in Gaza. Half an hour later, the students began to march toward Harrison dining hall, shouting chants such as “Gaza, Gaza, don’t you cry! Gaza, Gaza, we won’t let you die!” 

This pro-Palestinian protest is just one of many sweeping the nation, as hundreds of colleges and universities have erupted in protest against the United States’ support of Israel in the war.  

These protests were sparked by aid that was just approved for Israel by the U.S. On April 23, the U.S. Senate passed an aid package that will provide $26.4 billion in unconditional military assistance and aid to Israel, which was passed by the House on April 20. Biden signed it just yesterday, on April 24. 

According to CNN, hundreds of students have been arrested at major U.S. universities, such as the University of Southern California, Emerson College in Boston, Columbia University, Georgetown University and many more. 

Currently, no SUNY Brockport students have been arrested.