Brockport squeezes out win over Fisher

Tyler+Pohlman+on+the+mound+for+Brockport+during+Tuesdays+win.+
Brockport Athletics
Tyler Pohlman on the mound for Brockport during Tuesday’s win.

The Brockport Golden Eagle baseball team grabbed a 3-2 win in non-conference play against St. John Fisher. Brockport had dropped eight of their last 11 games coming into the game Tuesday.  

“We executed better today,” Brockport head coach Justin Beach said. “We pitched pretty well, played decent defense and came up with some timely hits.” 

Zach Eldred singled to get things going in the first inning. Eldred would move to second base on a slow grounder in the next at-bat. Brian Tietjen then stepped up to the plate and sent a double into the right-center field gap to plate Eldred.  

In the bottom of the second, Nick Mahar reached on an error and then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt. Freshman Ryan Leniec stepped up to the plate in his first start and ripped a single up the middle and scored Mahar to give the Golden Eagles a 2-0 lead.  

In the fourth, Nick Lemrie tripled for Fisher and was driven in on a sacrifice fly to cut the lead to 2-1.  

Freshman Tyler Pohlman’s night ended on the mound after the fourth. He struck out four, walked four and allowed one run.  

“I really liked how I battled,” Pohlman said. “I put a lot of guys on base and found ways to get out of it.”  

Brian Doherty came in relief for the Golden Eagles and went two and two-thirds innings, allowing one run which came in the top of the seventh after Fisher’s James Murphy hit a single. 

“We’re just so deep over here,” Pohlman said. “We have so many guys and I trust every single one of them to do their job and pick me up.” 

With the game tied 2-2 going to the bottom of the seventh, Josh Indek singled to start the inning. Indek then stole second and third base to set the Golden Eagles up. Jason Mansell stepped into the batter’s box and on a squeeze play, Mansell laid down a perfect bunt and Indek scored safely to grab a 3-2 lead.  

“We practiced guy on third all practice yesterday,” Mansell said. “I got the bunt sign, I got it down and did my job.” 

Angelo Agro came on the bump in the ninth for the Golden Eagles to get the save.  

Brockport now sits at 17-12 on the season.