Deeper Well Review: A Return to Tranquility

Google Open Source
Kacey Musgraves Preforming

The wait is over and the album teased at the Grammy awards, “Deeper Well” has finally arrived. Kasey Musgraves’ Saturn has returned, and with it, a revival of her country-folk roots.  Swapping the edgy sound of the previous record for pure acoustics, Musgraves digs into self-love and reflection. Now past her rise to fame and solidified as an artist, she takes a more individualized approach to this record, opting for more personal lyricism and simple acoustic backing.  

Each song flows to the next, like a story. The opening track “Cardinal” has a true folk-pop sound to it, filled with raw harmony and a driving drum line. “Deeper Well” follows and sets a more mellow tone for the rest of the album. This album is an easy listen. It isn’t heavily produced, and the lyricism is not complex enough to need multiple listens to understand the message. Musgraves’ vocals are at the center of the album. The choice brings a more personal feel to each track.  

In her announcement during the 66th Annual Grammy Awards, Musgraves teased that her ‘Saturn has returned.’ For all the astrologically devoted, the ‘Saturn Return’ is a period of clarity and gaining a more mature perspective on life. It happens when Saturn returns to the position it was in when you were born. Musgraves writes with this newfound clarity, figuring out who she wants to associate herself with. “There’s two kinds of people, one is a giver, one’s always trying to take all they can take” sings Musgraves. The title track sends the message that she is done with people who waste her time, and she would rather opt for self-care than deal with the ‘dark energy’ she speaks of.  

The back half of the album floats by without offering anything new to the contents of each song. “Jade Green” explores sentiment and personal items becoming reminders of our past. The chorus has no real build-up and feels unearned. “Heaven Is” and “Lonely Millionaire” stuck out, as both songs cover the value of material riches yet speak of the same old stereotypes. For a personal project, the lack of creativity here cannot be taken as a revelation. For comparison, beloved folk singer and songwriter Paul Simon explores comparable topics in “Still Crazy After All These Years.” He takes a broader approach, offering personal connections across memorable choruses accompanied by simple instrumentals. He puts his contemplation on display for the listener and that is what breathes life into the already established topics he covers. An angle like that from Musgraves would have been refreshing.  

“Deeper Well” feels like free therapy. Listening from start to finish is like a relaxing vent session with your bestie. Each track flows smoothly into the next. The simplicity and personal lyricism give a uniquely personal element to the album and reinforce the themes of personal growth and self-love. The simple sound is by no means catchy or has enough substance to draw listeners in, but it offers 14 enjoyable songs that complete a meaningful album. “Deeper Well” is available on all major music platforms.