Spencer Flansburg earns SUNYAC Rookie of the Week 

Brockport’s Spencer Flansburg earned SUNYAC Rookie of the Week honors after a three-point week. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

On Monday, Spencer Flansburg was selected as the SUNYAC Men’s Ice Hockey Rookie of the Week after earning three points in two games this past weekend. He recorded a goal in the 2-2 tie with Buffalo State on Friday and recorded a goal and an assist in the 4-2 win over Fredonia State on Saturday. This brings his point total to 10 on the season.   

“I finally felt like myself this weekend,” Flansburg said. “Just the intensity I brought to the game. Just the desire to play the game. It felt not much like an award meant a lot to me, it was more that our team was just producing, and our energy was just so much better than it’s been. So it’s really good to see.”   

Although the season has had its ups and downs, Flansburg has enjoyed his first season as a Golden Eagle.  

“There is always room for improvement,” Flansburg said. “All the guys are great and the atmosphere is great. I’ve been really enjoying it. It’s like another home for me. I love it. I can’t really take myself away from it. It’s a welcoming place to be.”  

Spencer’s brother Schuyler Flansburg is also on the Brockport hockey team. Schuyler has eight points in 17 games this season. Spencer is grateful to be playing alongside his brother.  

“[Schuyler] has been in and out with his injury,” Spencer said. “For him to just be able to watch instead of play alongside me, he gives me a lot of insight of what he sees and I really appreciate it. When he’s playing with me, it’s amazing. We just vibe off each other. We’re always happy to be out with each other and playing together.”  

Spencer learned a very important lesson from his team this season.  

“Just stay focused,” Spencer said. “There is a lot of aspects that come around in today’s world and a lot of us like to get stuck in them. I feel like there’s a lot of times where we get kind of stuck in traps and we’re not focused on the right aspects of the game or what aspects brought us here and what’s the reason we’re actually here and that’s to be the best athlete you can be.”  

The Golden Eagles are 7-13-4 on the season and wrap up the regular season when they travel to SUNY Morrisville to take on the Mustangs in a crucial SUNYAC matchup on Saturday afternoon with puck drop scheduled for 4 p.m.