Flower Power: Valentine’s Day flowers and their meanings 

Photo+credit%3A+Google+open+source+
Photo credit: Google open source

For centuries, flowers have been gifted as a romantic gesture. A little known fact is that each type of flower holds a specific meaning. This Valentine’s season, find out the deeper meaning of the flowers you may be gifting or receiving. 

Red Roses 

One of the most popular bouquet choices are red roses. They signify passion, romance and desire. Deeper reds are perfect for long-term relationships, symbolizing devotion. Differing colors of roses hold unique meanings. Purple roses are meant to be given to someone you fell in love with at first sight, since they represent infatuation. Pink roses are to show admiration and gratitude, and white roses are for innocence and new love. If you’re planning on friend-zoning someone, there’s a color for that too. Yellow roses mean friendship and joy. 

Carnations 

You’ll want to be very careful with carnations. They also vary in meaning depending on their color. Red carnations represent deep love and fascination. But beware, pink carnations are typically given on Mother’s Day, since they symbolize a mother’s undying love. Make sure you don’t gift your significant other with striped or yellow carnations. They mean refusal, disdain or rejection.  

Lilac 

Lilacs are a wonderful gift for someone new in your life. Purple blossoms represent the first emotions of love. White blossoms symbolize youthful love. These work especially well dispersed throughout a bouquet. 

Orchids 

Orchids are a classic Valentine’s Day gift. They’re strong symbols of love because orchids are known to grow and bloom easily in most conditions. For centuries, it has been viewed as a luxury flower. Today, that notion prevails with orchids being a symbol of rare and delicate beauty.  

Peonies 

Peonies are the perfect gift for your long-term partner. They represent prosperity and hold an omen of good fortune. Peonies are also known for riches and honor. 

Putting further thought into gifts deepens its value. Consider these flowers for your partner’s Valentine’s Day bouquet!