“The Slow Rush” Tame Impala

by Marios Argitis – Photo Editor

Tame Impala’s fourth studio album, “The Slow Rush,” is a multi-layered, extraordinarily detailed record that is fresh to the ears. The psychedelic music projects of Australian multi-instrumentalist, Kevin Parker, offers their appeal once again with this new record, released on Valentine’s Day. The genius of Parker is really highlighted in his new record due to its many amazing yet complex sounds, clawing vibes from near and far.

The kinetic opener, “One More Year,” offers a beat that is groovy but fun. The track’s slow and relaxed flow makes this song a great start to the record. It comes into the album as a very expansive song that almost reminisces a glitchy Daft Punk song joined with twisty disco-ish drum. 

The third track, “Borderline” is a much more upbeat piece, throwing a dancy vibe that is sincere in lyricism. It’s a dense whirl of symphonies, riffs and ascending vocal points. One soothing part of the song is Parker’s vocals. It sounds soulful, able to convey real emotion and weight throughout the song. 

Another highlight of the album is its fourth track, “Posthumous Forgiveness,” a song that feels like a dark meditation. The song is made up of many layers, with the tempo of the song changing into a dreamy late night anthem. An R&B type jam, “Breathe Deeper” has an ascending musical production, with its musical range always trying to decide whether it wants to be upbeat or slowed down. The boop-bap style drums are seen frequently in this track and the album. They offer a giddiness to the album that make it more likeable. 

The sixth track of the album, “Tomorrow’s Dust” is much more acoustic and raw than the other songs on the record. It has a 70s sound that really emphasizes the soulful yet cruisy instrumental. The boop-bap style drums are seen here again, making the song sound like a track you would listen to when you’re put on hold on the phone. The heavily nostalgic “Lost in Yesterday” tries to edge up a heavily beachy vibe, with Daft Punk type vocals that makes the song very twisty and soothing to the ears. Upon many listens, you come to realize the song can be outdated and often missed compared to the other songs. Due to its musical similarity to many songs in the album, the song sort of exists with a meh impression. 

The last song of the album, “One More Hour,” seems like a very introverted song, having softer vocals compared to other songs. The seven minute long track drowns itself in echo. Suddenly, the song forms dramatically with heavily phased guitar and drums that make the song seem apocalyptic. The second half of the song is more relaxing, with harmonic symphonies surrounding the background, while soft depleted vocals meet in the middle to offer a great end to an already pioneering album. 

“The Slow Rush” was my first introduction to Tame Impala and saying that I am impressed is an understatement. On his fourth album, Kevin Parker eases into a smoother psychedelic sound. Even with its adrenaline filled highs, the album never fails to appreciate its compositions as well as its rich and thoughtful layers.