Brockport students and staff host poker fundraiser

Photo from Daily Eagle

On Thursday, Dec. 3, The Business 466 Project Management class along with the Brockport Finance Club, hosted a virtual Texas Hold ‘Em Poker Tournament. All proceeds from the event are being donated to the Brockport Food Pantry and the American Red Cross Disaster Relief. 

The event took place on the pokerstars.net platform and consisted of two tournaments, one with a $5 buy in and a $50 prize, and the other with a $10 buy in and a $250 prize. Money was collected via PayPal, Venmo and Cash App. Dr. Steve Breslawski, instructor of BUS 466 Project Management, oversaw the event.  

“The event ran fairly smoothly,” Breslawski said. “We had 60 players plus various sponsors and donors. All of the prizes were sponsored so we will be able to direct all participant proceeds to the charities. The $5 tournament lasted about an hour with a single winner, and the $10 tournament ended after about two hours, with the remaining two individuals agreeing to split the prize money.” 

The class provides an excellent opportunity for students to discuss and demonstrate group decision making. Students work in cross-functional teams such as publicity, finance, sponsors, donors and structure the event themselves.  

“Each student is responsible for proposing a charity fundraising event in accord with some provided project parameters,” Breslawski said. “The class then considers all the proposals and discusses ways in which each proposal might be improved. Through a voting process the class selects a project and is then charged with finalizing the design and implementing the event.” 

For more information, go to https://brockport.edu/academics/special_sessions/winter/index.html.

A charity event generally happens each year, but the mechanics vary depending on who is teaching the course. Having to work around the COVID-19 pandemic created some challenges this semester, but the class was still able to pull off a successful evening.  

“This year a number of students had relatives impacted by hurricane events, so Red Cross Hurricane Relief emerged as a charity choice,” Breslawski said. “The food shelf was chosen as well, as so many people are out of work because of COVID-19. In the past we have supported the food shelf, Bivona Child Advocacy Center, Red Cross, Wounded Warriors, American Cancer Society and Anthony DiPonzio, a Brockport alum critically injured in his first year with the Rochester Police Department, just to name a few.” 

For more information on how you can help donate click here