Music to look out for in February  

Red headphones, via Google Open Source

With the constant release of new music, it’s easy for album releases to get lost in the mix. February’s new music is marked by comebacks from industry veterans along with new voices. Here are a few of February 2023’s most highly anticipated albums.  

Five-time Grammy award winner Shania Twain, who is, perhaps, best known for her 1997 hit, “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” released her sixth studio album “Queen of Me” on Feb. 3. The 12-track country album celebrates unapologetic empowerment and confidence. Bouncing back from several potentially career-ending setbacks, Twain’s “Queen of Me” proves that the once undisputed pop-country icon is back and better than ever.  

Though you might know Rebecca Black as the viral sensation responsible for the 2011 hit “Friday,” the now 25-year-old artist is claiming her spot in the music industry with her debut album, “Let Her Burn. Black emphasizes her distinct talents as a singer-songwriter as she blends heart-shattering lyrics with electric pop production. In addition to her new album, Black is currently headlining the “Let Her Burn” tour across the UK, and the US leg will begin in May.  “Let Her Burn” is currently available on all major streaming platforms.  

Paramore’s long-awaited comeback album, “This is Why” was released on Feb. 10, their first album after a five-year hiatus. The trio stays true to their pop-punk roots, using the ten tracks to express their pent-up frustration with social and political issues in an uncertain post-pandemic world. “The News” confronts society’s hyper-consumption of the modern news cycle and the trauma that follows. The title track reflects on the emotions that come with living through a global pandemic and being expected to bounce back as though nothing happened.  

P!nk’s ninth album “Trustfall” will be released on Feb. 17. The highly anticipated 13-track album features the Lumineers, First Aid Kit and Chris Stapleton. P!nk teamed up with arenas worldwide to aid in the track reveal process. Each arena created a billboard and announced one track while some confirmed the collaborations. Two singles are available to listen to now: “Trustfall” and “Never Gonna Not Dance Again.”  

Rising star Gracie Abrams’s newest album “Good Riddance” is set to be released on Feb.  

24. Her debut album follows her 2021 fan-favorite EP “This Is What It Feels Like.” This album will feature 12 tracks, including two singles that are available to stream now: “Where do we go now?” and “Amelie.” Tickets for the US leg of the “Good Riddance” tour are already sold out ahead of the release. This is no surprise as Abrams is one of several stars to accompany Taylor Swift for “The Eras Tour,” which begins next month. “Good Riddance” may go down as one of 2023’s best debuts.  

The February new music scene is on fire, from comebacks to debuts, it seems as though fans from across all genres have something to look forward to. Whether you’re counting down the days until release, or are just hearing these titles for the first time, you might find some new favorites among these releases.