Brockport spreads holiday cheer with charitable donations 

BSG Holiday Drive poster

SUNY Brockport’s Student Government (BSG) is holding a holiday donation drive from Nov. 17 to Dec. 2 for clothes, toys, personal care products and canned goods.   

SUNY Brockport sophomore Christian Lopez, activities coordinator of BSG, explained how the process works. 

“The holiday drive is a way to get all of campus involved and help people in need to make a better and stronger community within Brockport. This is also a competition between every single club, sport, Greek life and Residence Hall to out-donate their competitors for the sake of charity,” Lopez said. 

Non-perishable foods are worth one point, hygiene products are worth two points and clothing and toys are worth three points. The winners will receive bragging rights, a trophy and pizza party. These prizes give students extra incentive to donate items they no longer use or need. Each donation category accrues a certain number of points that are used to determine the winning group.  All the donations will be given to local charities and organizations throughout Monroe county to help people who are less fortunate.  

“All women’s and baby clothes will be going to Bethany House, and the food will be going to Brockport shelves, an organization on Main Street that gives food to those in need. We are trying to receive as many donations as possible so we can make a positive impact on the community,” Lopez said.   

There are four days left to participate in this fun and competitive donation drive. Items can be dropped off in the BSG office, Union 109. Their hours are 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday.