New arrivals to streaming platforms

Photo credit: Google open source

Commercial free, all-inclusive streaming networks movies and tv shows right at the watcher’s fingertips. However, the one negative to these streaming platforms is having to sift through an endless supply of content. 

With movies and shows scattered throughout these various platforms, it can be hard for the everyday watcher to sit down and enjoy their streaming experience. Here are some of the more recent additions and movements of movies and shows to Netflix, Hulu and Disney+. 

Starting Oct. 1, Netflix removed “Catch Me if You Can” (2002), “Free Bird” (2013), “I am Legend” (2007), “Mean Girls” (2004) and “The Amazing Spider-Man” (2012). On Oct. 4, all seasons of “Schitts Creek” were removed from Netflix and added to Hulu. 

In November 2022, the first nine season of the anime series, “Naruto”, will be removed permanently from Netflix, but will be found on Hulu, Peacock and Pluto TV.  

On Sept. 28, Netflix released the new Marilyn Monroe biopic, “Blonde.” “Blonde” is a fictional retelling of actress Marilyn Monroe’s rise and fame which eventually led to her sudden death.  

In addition, on Sept. 30, “The Luckiest Girl Alive” was released to Netflix, a remake of Jessica Knoll’s 2015 best-selling mystery novel. Knoll’s novel and film follows a newly successful writer in New York, with the “perfect life.” However, after a string of unfortunate luck, the film becomes an intense true-crime documentary as the protagonist’s ideal life is all a farce.  

Netflix will also be releasing “Conversations with a Killer: Jeffery Dahmer Tapes” on Oct. 7.  This series shows present-day interviews of those involved in previous investigations, along with audio recordings from Dahmer.  

On Oct. 1, “Mr. & Mrs. Smith” (2005) along with “Call Me by Your Name” (2017) can now be found on Netflix. Romantic, action comedy “Mr. & Mrs. Smith”, follows the Smiths who seem normal but are both keeping a secret. They are assassins working for opposing agencies who have also coincidentally been assigned to assassinate one another. Talk about a Romeo and Juliet love story. “Call Me by Your Name”, set in 1983 Italy, is about 17-year-old Elio who discovers his first summer love when 24-year-old American Oliver brings change to Elio’s life.  

At the beginning of the month, Hulu added Tim Burton’s “Dark Shadows” (2012), which is based on the American gothic soap opera from the 1960s. A centuries-old vampire is released from his prison and must learn to deal with the modern world.   

The drama film “Dear White People” (2014) satirically tackles the rising racial tensions on a predominantly white college campus through a Halloween Party, starring Tessa Thompson.  This film will also be available on Hulu as well as “The Hulk” (2003), “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” (1975) and “X-men” (2000).  

American medical drama “Grey’s Anatomy” will be live streaming the premiere of its 19th season starting Oct. 6 and will be available for streaming immediately on Oct. 7 on Hulu. Weekly episodes of this new season will be available every Friday. Previous seasons of “Grey’s Anatomy” can also be found on Netflix.  

A couple films that will be leaving Hulu are “Songbird” (2020), “Friend Request (2016) and “In the Heart of the Sea” (2015). They will leave the platform on Oct. 15, 17 and 22 respectively.  

Lastly, here are some incoming additions to Disney+ to be on the lookout for. Seasons one and two of “Zorro” and season 33 of “The Simpsons” will be available starting Oct. 5.  

Season one of “Spider-Man the New Animated Series” will come to Disney+ Oct. 19. “Alvin and The Chipmunks: The Squeakquel” will be added on Oct. 28. In addition, Marvel’s “She-Hulk” is releasing new episodes every Thursday, and the Disney series “The Mighty Ducks: Game Changers” has been releasing new episodes of season 2 every Wednesday.  

Whether it is a horror thriller, a historical adventure series or a satirical comedy, with one click of a button all streaming needs can be met.