14 romantic comedies for the fourteenth of February 

Free cinema seats image, via Google Open Source

By Graciella Dressler and Jaden Smith | Features Editor and Copy Editor

1.) Always Be My Maybe (2019)  

When childhood sweethearts, Sasha Tran and Marcus Kim, have a falling out and do not reconnect till life pulls them together as adults. They may live in completely different worlds, but their chemistry is undeniable. Can they put down their differences and reconcile? Starring Ali Wong, Randall Park and Keanu Reeves.   

2.) The Fault in Our Stars (2014)  

16-year-old terminal cancer patient, Hazel Grace Lancaster, wants nothing more than to live her life with her books. When she meets Augustus (Gus) Waters at a cancer support group, he flips her world around. Bonding over books and favorite authors, their friendship blossoms into romance. Things take a turn for the worse after a massive heath scare but Gus is determined to help Hazel live out her dream. Starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort.  

3.) Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011)  

Carl Weaver had the perfect life, with the perfect house and family. His perfect life is ripped apart when his wife cheats on him and wants a divorce leaving him single and over the age of 40. After an encounter with single bachelor Jacob Palmer, it is decided that with the help of Jacob, Carl will learn the ways a bachelor. Starring Steve Carrell and Ryan Gosling. 

4.) Someone Great (2019) 

After Jenny Young is dumped by her boyfriend of nine years, she must come to terms with the breakup. A long-winded adventure through New York City with her best friends, Jenny closes out this chapter of her life to begin something new. Starring Gina Rodriguez. 

5.) Parent Trap (1998) 

An adaptation of the 1961 film, long lost twins Annie and Hallie accidentally reunite at summer camp. They devise a plot that will allow them to switch parents for the rest of the summer and live the other twin’s life. When the parents discover they have the “wrong” daughter, their whole family is brought together by the twist. The girls intend to make their parents fall back in love. Starring Lindsey Lohan. 

6.) Me Before You (2016) 

Quirky Louisa’s “Lou” sunshine personality is put to the test when she takes a job as a caretaker for Will Traynor, who was left paralyzed after an accident. Will is the opposite of everything Lou represents but as their friendship becomes something more, their lives change in ways that they never imagined. Starring Emilia Clarke and Sam Claflin.  

7.) Clueless (1995) 

Rich, daddy’s girl, Cher decides she wants to use her popularity to make the world a better place. Her idea of selfless acts is being a matchmaker and giving makeovers to the less fortunate. Cher’s most recent project, Tai, becomes more popular than her and disrupts Cher’s world. This leads to Cher questioning who she is and more importantly who she truly loves. Starring Alicia Silverstone, Brittany Murphy and Paul Rudd.  

8.) “Son in Law” (1993) 

What if you picked up a Midwest farmgirl (hypothetically, of course), put her in a university in California and said bye? This is a hilarious movie where Rebecca, our heroine, is having a shockingly bad time at school until RA Crawl—ignore the questionability—inspires her transformation into a proper Californian. However, when Thanksgiving comes around, what will Rebecca’s family and boyfriend think when Crawl gets off the plane with her? 

9.) “Return to Me” (2000) 

So, it starts with Bob’s wife dying, but it’s okay! Not okay but bear with me. Bob’s dead wife is an organ donor—and the woman who receives the life-saving transplant, Grace, appears in Bob’s life. Completely unaware of the connection, the two of them accidentally meet on a terrible blind date and instantly make heart eyes. Grace’s history is bound to come up though, and the emotional turmoil might set them apart forever. A helicopter Italian family, awkward honesty and one hell of a slap are all features that make this film shine.  

10.) “Some Like It Hot” (1959) 

How do I talk about this movie? Just watch it. It’s fantastic! Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) witness a murder. Bigger than that, a murder committed by the mafia. Desperate to go into hiding, the two dress up as women and join an all-girls band where they meet Marilyn Monroe. From the way they fail to sashay, to Jerry having the best date of his life in a pair of high heels, “Some Like It Hot” was ahead of its time (and banned in some states when it came out). Even if you only watch this to see their attempts at make-up, it will be more than worth your time.  

11.) “Enchanted” (2007) 

The mice sing, the squirrels sing. Everybody is singing. Especially when Giselle steals Robert’s wallet to go on a shopping spree. If you don’t want to admit you like fairytales and want something different—like Prince Charming being a tourist—then this may be your cup of tea. The love story itself is actually very sweet, and Amy Adams is so sincere in playing the “naive” princess that you will have a hard time watching this with a straight face. In my defense, the songs are kind of catchy and I’ve always wanted to make a dress out of curtains.  

12.) “Entergalactic” (2022) 

Set to the background of Kid Cudi’s newest album, Jabari moves into an apartment in Manhattan and meets his entrancing next-door neighbor, Meadow (cue the satisfaction of neighborly trials). Falling for each other, but tiptoeing around life and their artistic dreams, this is a hilarious commentary on how important love becomes in the face of our successes and failures. Plus, the animation is awesome, it’s not rated so it’s off the wall and Macaulay Culkin makes a cameo with a character called Downtown Pat. Put this one on your watchlist for sure! 

13.) “Love, Simon” (2018) 

Simon deserves a love story more than any other fictional character I know. He’s not sure how to come out to his family and friends, and no one knows that he likes a certain guy (Blue) he met online. Shady, I know, but sweet. As their email romance develops, Simon gets caught up in a blackmail plot and may have to face losing everyone he knows. Especially Blue. This is cute, funny and ultimately a tale of how being brave in high school sometimes may get you a kiss. Only sometimes. I’ve also stolen “I like your boots” as my best pickup line from this movie.  

14.) “13 Going on 30” (2004) 

When you were younger, did you ever wish to be a grownup? No longer a half mutant creature thing stuck in puberty, but a fully formed demigod paying bills? That is exactly the premise of Jenna’s life. When her wish comes true, she must face the fact that she doesn’t exactly like who she has become. Especially since she lost her best friend Matty. A best friend who’s loved her since she was 13. Enter stage left a silly and heartwarming chick flick to cheer up any mood.