Local businesses on display at The Lucky Flea

Located near the Memorial Art Gallery in Rochester at the corner of Carlton street and Anderson Avenue, The Lucky Flea outdoor vintage market features unique products from local businesses and artists.

Every Sunday until the end of October from 10 a.m. to 3p.m., the community is invited to check out rows of secondhand fashion from local vendors. This pop-up shop gives opportunities for local businesses to show off their work to the community. 

Cloud Cal founder Eliana Calder sells handcrafted jewelry as well as upcycled clothing.  

“Anything that I could create, I made,” Calder said.  

Pop-up events such as The Lucky Flea give businesses an opportunity to allow customers to have a more interactive experience with their seller. 

“For a very long time I had an online presence, and I was like this isn’t enough for me. I’m a big people person so coming here was really exciting for me,” Calder said. “It’s easier for people to see things in person, have tangible objects to touch, and try stuff on.”  

Other businesses add their own flare to the products they are selling. 

Unremorseful Art founder Margot Elizabeth is new to the Rochester area and adds a personal touch to every item she creates. 

“When I started making my jewelry and painting my jackets, I wanted to incorporate the uniqueness of myself,” Elizabeth said. “I do a lot of peer research as well when I am creating a new product.” 

From earrings with pumpkins on them to get in the upcoming Halloween spirit, to stickers of a golden Stitch for that nostalgic feeling, Elizabeth caters to a wide variety of audiences in many categories of fashion. 

“I started with children’s shoes, and then I got sad during COVID-19, and I used to play with clay a lot as a child so I went to Michael’s, got some clay, and made my first pair of earrings, and someone was like ‘You should do this,’” Elizabeth said.  

Social media promotion plays a huge role in attracting the crowds that make up The Lucky Flea. With over 15,000 followers on Instagram, these businesses attract a new audience that can follow them to their online shops.

Other attractions at The Lucky Flea include local food businesses that vary each week, such as food trucks and coffee shops. 

The Lucky Flea brings a fresh perspective to Rochester, giving local businesses a platform to shine as a group.