2021 art alumni exhibition

The art community is back at it again this fall, providing beautiful art pieces in the Tower of Fine Arts at SUNY Brockport for the 2021 art alumni exhibition. Ever since the COVID-19 pandemic, these artists have wanted to help create a sense of normalcy by hosting events that make people get out and have a good time by enjoying art in person.  

Artists Eun Young Leem, Katie Mertz and Heather Brand each provided extravagant pieces using different mediums such as mixed media, ceramics and photography.  

Each artist created pieces that resonate with who they are as an artist and express their feelings. Additionally, they created furniture and décor pieces that show different aspects of the world.  

Ceramist Leem creates décor pieces to spice up homes.  

“I want to create aesthetic and practical functional work that can be used in everyday life,” Leem said.  

Her style in décor pieces is inspired by antique Asian culture with beautiful patterns on both her doughnut teapot and vase. Her acorn pots and lids incorporate texture on the top to resemble real acorns, making it even more unique.  

Mertz specializes in mixed media on wooden panels. She uses her art to express how she feels. Her paintings are colorful and abstract, each with different patterns and brush strokes. 

“My photographs do not offer viewers expansive vistas or singular glimpses of rare species. Instead, they offer the visual tension of two or more versions of reality bumping into each other,” Brand said.  

In other words, she likes to use alternate realities to make her work seem more unique.  

These artists give the SUNY Brockport community something to look forward to and give opportunities for inspiration for upcoming artists. The exhibition will continue from Sept. 7 through October 10 on Monday-Friday from 12-5 p.m. and Sunday from 1-4 p.m.