89.1 The Point Review: “Not Dead Yet” by Lord Huron

Lord Huron released “Not Dead Yet” in 2018. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

By Arianna Leathers / 89.1 The Point

Being my first time ever listening to Lord Huron, I have found myself pleasantly surprised by “Not Dead Yet.”

The start of the song kicks off with the beginning of an upbeat, yet casual, guitar riff, that
immediately sets off a folk, or borderline country, sound. Carried throughout, the rhythm of the
guitar may resemble that of a train chugging along the track, on a sunny day, of course. The
guitar riff effortlessly pushes the song in a forward direction, carrying a playful, almost childlike
nature along with it.

The riff is then met by the vocals, and I must say the vocalist has an absolutely beautiful sound
that resembles a golden-aura in my mind. The artist then incorporates vocal layering to
compliment the attractive melody; introducing a subtle yet extremely effective harmony. The
song almost feels familiar due to the sense of comfort and ease that naturally rings throughout.

Not only is the song comfortable, but it’s fun too. The progression of the guitar alongside the
vocals rather simply make the song feel like a good time, which the listener is grateful to be a
part of. The good times are even reassured by a hardly noticeable tambourine and some
stylistic “uh-huh’s”, which very appropriately remind me of a modern Elvis, if Elvis was a folky
hipster. Aside from the “uh-huh’s” and to create a slight contrast against the buttery vocal
layering, a series of echoey “ahh’s” also ring out intermittently, adding a sense of depth to the
song.

The various components of the song work together seamlessly to develop a very uplifting
nature. Just the instruments alone allow the true soul of the listener to soar, to dream of
unforeseen opportunities and destinations. Even the brief transition before the instrumental
quite literally covered my body in goosebumps. Overall, the tone of this track was engaging,
captivating, and of course, wholesome.

Thank you Lord Huron, “Not Dead Yet” is a really nice reminder that ultimately, life is good.