SUNY Brockport hosting art exposition

The Tower Fine Arts Center is hosting an art exposition until March 28. (Photo credit: Connor Zerniak)

By Connor Zerniak / Staff Writer

An art exposition is being held in the Tower Fine Arts Center Gallery now until March 28. The gallery is showcasing pieces from current and past faculty, alumni and students.  

The gallery is being dedicated to former art department faculty that have recently passed away: Robert Marx, Bill Stewart and Mirko Pylyshenko 

Work from each of these three former faculty members have been included in the gallery.  

According to Tim Massey, the gallery director and professor in the art department, the exposition gives art students the opportunity to evaluate artwork for classes, but also give the campus a chance to see professional artwork.  

Unfortunately, because of pandemic protocols, the community at large cannot visit. This show is specifically for the campus community and the art department,” Massey said.  

The gallery includes a mix of pieces from international and national artists, faculty and students.  

“This exhibition is comprised of the collection that is owned by the college, and the college holds roughly 3,000 works,” Massey said.  

Typically, the gallery showcases works from outside artists, but due to the pandemic, it has been difficult to bring in professional pieces.  

Image.jpeg
The art exposition is only open to SUNY Brockport students and faculty due to the COVID-19 pandemic. (Photo credit: Connor Zerniak)

Students only show here for the annual student exhibition, so I guess some people don’t realize that this is a venue for the presentation of work by professional artists,” Massey said.   

This show is also a rare occurrence of featuring pieces from the college’s collection. Massey said that this is the fourth collection show in the 20 years that he has been at SUNY Brockport.  

“We wanted to make sure with this show that we were honoring the memory of our former faculty, as well as making sure we had at least some examples of work by students of those individuals on display,” Massey said.  

The gallery will be open to the campus community Monday-Friday from 12 p.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. until March 28.