SUNY Brockport raises COVID-19 alert level following spike in cases

SUNY Brockport President Heidi MacPherson announced Monday afternoon that the college has increased its COVID-19 alert level to yellow following a recent spike in cases.

As cases continue to rise quickly in Monroe County, they’re also beginning to rise on campus — just weeks before students return home for the semester. According to the statement, the most recent batch of pool testing conducted last Thursday and Friday revealed that 13 students tested positive for COVID-19.

The college is still waiting for results of additional students who were in the positive pools.

Due to the increase in cases, the college is taking proactive measures to stop the spread and continue in person classes for the next few weeks. These measures include mandatory testing of all students within the week, closing the SERC Fitness Center, ceasing all in-person athletic activities, cancelling all in-person extracurriculars (or moving them to a virtual format), and limiting the dining halls to carry-out only. Carry-out only is starting with dinner Monday night.

The library will remain open and shuttle services will continue.

If students receive a negative pool test result this week they are encouraged to move out of on-campus housing for the remainder of the semester. Students who wish to move home early will have to make arrangements with their in-person instructors, and students who do not may be required to test negative again before returning home.