Eramo wins national title on vault

Mathieu Starke
Maren Eramo performing on the vault.

The Brockport Golden Eagles gymnastics team finished their season at the NCGA Championship this past Saturday, March 23 in Collegeville, Pennsylvania after winning the NCGA East Regional. Senior Maren Eramo was the star of the show for the Golden Eagles as she earned All-American honors for the second consecutive year and was named national co-champion on the vault to help Brockport get a fourth-place overall finish.

“I mean it’s an honor to be the co-national champion,” Eramo said. “I think looking back at what I’ve been through here at Brockport and my injuries and stuff I am proud of myself for coming back to gymnastics and being able to accomplish that just in my second year.”  

Eramo tied with UW-Oshkosh’s Mia Lucero for champion on the vault where coincidentally they tied with each other last year on the vault, finishing eighth with a score of 9.700. This year, both finished with a 9.825.  

Eramo was not the only Brockport gymnast to have an impact on the NCGA championship. Freshman Kiara Hockman would receive All-American honors on vault in her first taste of the national stage as she tied for fifth with a score of 9.750.  

The Golden Eagles would also have two gymnasts receive All-American honors on the bars. Senior Taylor Bushey would earn All-American status for a second time with a score of 9.775 to place fifth while senior Emma Grace Sargent finished eighth with a score of 9.725, earning All-American for the second time in her career as well.  

Brockport also left their mark on the floor routine. Kirsten Paultre would earn her second All-American honor of her career as she tied for seventh place on the floor routine with a score of 9.825. It was an all-around effort from the Golden Eagles on the national stage.  

“I think that no matter what your performance is like on our team, everyone’s right there cheering you on,” Eramo said. “Even if you fall, if you have a bad turn, everyone’s always cheering you on and I think that’s a great environment to be a part of because people are always happy for you no matter what. You cannot be happy for yourself, but there’s 24 other girls that are screaming in your face happy for you and I think having that energy surrounding you 24/7 is what helps a lot of us become successful.”  

Eramo ends her season as co-champion on the vault as she was consistent all year, finishing top three on vault in eight out of nine events. As a senior, Eramo does not know what is next for her in her gymnastics career, but she will never forget her time at Brockport. 

“Being a part of such a team that wants the best for everyone else is just the greatest thing that I could have been a part of,” Eramo said.  

The Golden Eagles wrapped up their season with a fourth-place finish with a score of 193.075. They would finish behind the likes of UW-Lacrosse (193.175), UW-Whitewater (193.575) and UW-Oshkosh (194.975), who won its third consecutive title.