Brockport wins thriller vs St. Lawrence

Chamberlain Bauder
Brockport’s Tristan Davis cradles the ball in Tuesday’s win. Davis finished the day with four goals for the Golden Eagles.

The Brockport Golden Eagles women’s lacrosse team pulled out some late magic to seal the deal against the St. Lawrence Saints. After a back-and-forth thriller, Brockport won 12-10. The win snapped a three-game skid for the Golden Eagles. 

First-year attacker Tristan Davis had a massive impact on the game. She scored four goals, two coming off free-position shots. Davis has 14 goals through five games to start her career as a Golden Eagle. 

“I’ve had big leaders showing me the ways and the ropes to play attack the proper way, I couldn’t do this without them,” Davis said. 

The first quarter saw six combined goals. Those goals came in pairs for both sides. First-year attacker Hailey Lewkovich got the scoring started. She received a nice pass from sophomore attacker Amanda Evans and was wide open in the hole for a simple one-on-one with Saints’ goalie Courtney Lynn. Davis scored her first of the game under 30 seconds later.  

“I saw the middies pop out and Hailey popped up, she was calling for the ball and she was wide open, so I knew I had to give it to her,” Evans said. 

Evans recorded her second assist of the season on her birthday. 

St. Lawrence responded with two goals of their own followed by Brockport getting two more. Davis and senior midfielder Julia Quinlan scored with under 70 seconds left in the opening quarter. 

Brockport followed that two-goal run with three more unanswered goals in the second quarter. Junior midfielder Alayna Foos, 5th-year attacker Cassidy Burnash and Quinlan all found the back of the net to give the Golden Eagles a big lead. St. Lawrence responded with under two minutes before halftime by way of first-year midfielder/attacker Jessica LaPlaca. Brockport took a 7-3 lead into the break. 

“Our offense can get looks if we can work their defense,” Burnash said. “The longer we possess the ball the better the looks will be. Having the confidence to be able to work the clock and know that when we get to 30 [seconds on the shot clock] that we can go and we can get good looks then.”  

The late second quarter goal by LaPlaca was a sign of things to come in the third quarter. The Saints took control out of the break scoring five unanswered goals in the third quarter. Lacrosse is a game of runs and the third quarter proved this. St. Lawrence dominated the draw controls and spent most of the quarter in the offensive third of the field. They took a critical 8-7 lead into the fourth quarter.  

Foos wasted no time in tying the game back up scoring a massive goal just three minutes into the fourth quarter. The defenses held until the midway point. The Saints struck second, re-taking a one-goal advantage. Shortly after, Brockport started a four-goal run which put the game out of reach. Burnash scored the first with an assist from Lewkovich. Davis would score the following pair, the first coming from a dynamic drive off a free-position shot. Foos also scored off a free-position shot with just 1:42 remaining which was the final dagger in the back-and-forth thriller. Junior midfield/attacker Neve Ley got a late goal for the road with under a minute remaining.  

Brockport improves to 2-3 and now turns their attention to McDaniel College as they will take the road trip to Maryland on Saturday. The first draw in that one is set for 11 a.m.