Allen’s late header helps Brockport girls soccer outlast Greece Athena, 4-3

By Paul Cifonelli / Co-Editor-in-Chief

Nadia Nealon’s free kick with just over four minutes left hit Gisela Allen’s head and found the back of the net. The score was 4-3 after that, which was the final, but based on how it got there, the game seemed far from over.

Allen’s goal usually results in a shot instead of a pass on the free kick, Brockport coach Matt Davis said.

“From that distance, we’re probably looking at a shot from Nealon,” Davis said. “And a credit to her, we had numbers on that side and Gigi did a good job of going and finding the ball. It wasn’t necessarily a set play, but it’s an option that we’ve done and the option was there and we capitalized.”

Every time Brockport (2-2-0) scored, Greece Athena (2-2-0) had an answer within the next 10 minutes. With the game going back and forth, Davis attributes the way the game played out to early-season kinks.

“It was challenging,” Davis said. “I think it’s a product of the fact that the kids haven’t been in that situation yet. When you’re playing a tough team and those quick counters come, it starts to become a norm and they have to sort that out and slow things down. It gets tough to manage, but it’s all about composure.”

Brockport opened the scoring in the contest just under four minutes in when Jasmyn Miller scored. Miller’s first attempt his a defender and bounced right back to her, which she put away.

Nealon got the assist on all four of Brockport’s goals in the game, bringing her season total to six.

Wrianna Hudson had the first response for Greece Athena in the 12th minute. Hudson’s goal was also unassisted and was her sixth of the season. After the tally, the Trojans went on the attack. They dominated play for the remainder of the half and were more aggressive going for the ball.

Halftime allowed the Blue Devils to regain their composure and Ella Fadale put them ahead four minutes into the second period. Less than two minutes later, Larissa Johnston knotted the contest at two.

Fadale continued to wreak havoc on Athena’s defenders, netting another breakaway goal in the 50th minute. She netted two of her three goals on the season in tonight’s game.

Athena’s Kiera Osier made up for her close shot earlier in the game by tying it at three eight minutes after Fadale’s second goal.

Emma Sodoma made five saves in net for Brockport in the win.

The Blue Devils will next take the field on Thursday with a game at Greece Arcadia, while Greece Athena’s next game is Wednesday at Aquinas.