President Macpherson eliminates 2021 spring break

By Brianna Bush / Co- Editor-in-Chief

Many changes have occurred over the last few months for students and staff of SUNY Brockport in response to COVID-19. Some of those changes include online learning, take-out from dining halls and shortening the length of the semester. What some students may not know are the things that come along with a shorter semester. 

The college eliminated a few breaks in the calendar that students looked forward to, including Labor Day and mid semester break in the fall semester. Additionally, the college plans to cancel spring break. 

In a letter to faculty, SUNY Brockport President Heidi Macpherson stated, “in conjunction with the members of the Emergency Operations Center, we have made a decision to cancel spring break.”  

Canceling spring break is in the best interest of the students and staff of Brockport, by keeping students on campus, there is a lower risk of an outbreak to occur. Similar to the decision to cancel mid semester, canceling spring break will shorten the spring semester. 

“It doesn’t make sense to have students leave campus for a whole week, travel, and potentially come back from areas of much higher COVID-19 outbreaks than we have here in Monroe County,” Macpherson wrote. 

As of now the Spring semester is set to start Thursday, Jan. 21. The semester is set to end a week earlier than it normally would to make up for not having Spring Break.