Brockport on top at Empire State Collegiate Championship 

The Brockport gymnastics team captured the inaugural Empire State Collegiate Championship on Sunday. (Photo Credit: Mathieu Starke/Brockport Athletics)

The Golden Eagles gymnastics team had themselves a day this Sunday, earning first place at the brand-new Empire State Collegiate Championship. Brockport posted a score of 193.025 points, beating out Cornell, Long Island University, Cortland, Utica and Ithaca. This was the highest score recorded by Brockport so far this season. 

The floor event came first, and Brockport finished with a score of 48.875.  The Golden Eagles had two gymnasts that scored in the top five in the event. Kiara Hockman and Kirsten Paultre tied for fifth place with 9.800 points.  

On the vault, Brockport scored a 48.125. Maren Eramo placed top three with a score of 9.800.  Emma Grace Sargent found her way into the top 10, scoring a 9.675 to finish in tenth. Eramo, this season has homed in on improving in the vault. 

“I have been really trying to work on limiting my steps on the landing, and making my form in the air tighter,” Eramo said. “I think that every week, I am getting a tad better with that.” 

The Golden Eagles then tacked on a team score of 47.450 in the uneven parallel bars. Three Brockport gymnasts scored in the top ten Rachel Swick, Sargent and Eramo. Swick tied for third place with a 9.725 while Sargent scored 9.600 to finish in eighth. Just behind her was Eramo tied for ninth with a score of 9.575 points. 

To end the day, Brockport had one of their top performances in the balance beam event. They racked up a score of 48.575. Natalie Galioto and Maya Pecoraro tied for ninth, posting scores of 9.775. Hockman was just outside of the top ten as a total of five gymnasts tied for ninth. She came in fourteenth, scoring a 9.750.  

Pecoraro was the last one to perform for Brockport. During her performance, Eramo began to taste victory. 

“I whispered to my teammate Taylor Bushey and said, ‘Oh my god. We are about to win this,’” Eramo said. “I think we all knew what we just did and all started screaming and hugging Maya right on the beam landing mat. The moment was so surreal…” 

Brockport wasn’t only just awarded first place in the championship. With Galioto’s performance, she received NCGA East Event Specialist of the Week honors. She was honored to receive such an award. 

“It makes my heart happy to see all of the support that I have gotten, even from friends and family back home,” Galioto said. “It reminds me of why I do and love the sport.” 

The Golden Eagles will compete in the Harriet Marranca Memorial Invite this upcoming Sunday, Feb. 18. Although Brockport head coach René Lyst is excited about the competition and is very proud of her gymnasts, she wants them to get locked in for it. 

“The meet Sunday is another great opportunity to keep improving our routines under pressure as we get closer to the post-season,” Lyst said. “We are focusing on the details and continuing to build on our success.” 

The Golden Eagles will hit the road to Ithaca College for the meet which is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m.