Brockport to increase security at athletic events

SUNY Brockport is set to increase security measures at athletic events following an incident after Tuesday’s game at Buffalo State. (Photo Credit: Liv Metz/Brockport Athletics)

After a Brockport men’s basketball player was attacked by a spectator following Tuesday’s contest at Buffalo State, the college announced they would be enhancing security efforts at all athletic contests moving forward. The announcement came in an email from Brockport President Heidi Macpherson on Thursday evening.

“We are particularly focused on working to ensure that a similar situation doesn’t happen in the future,” Macpherson said in an email to the Brockport community. “In the short term, as a precaution, we will be enhancing security at our athletic events.”

The incident came after Brockport had defeated Buffalo State 63-48 and were headed to the locker room postgame. At that point, a spectator came out of the crowd and began what would turn into a brawl on the court among spectators and multiple Brockport players. The floor was eventually cleared as the players were escorted to the locker room and the spectators were escorted out by security on site.

Macpherson noted in her email there were no major injuries to any of the Brockport student-athletes or staff. The incident remains under investigation in a collaborative effort between both Brockport and Buffalo State University Police.

Cell phone video from Tuesday’s altercation at Buffalo State.