First-half onslaught propels Brockport past Buffalo State

Caquan Wester recorded his fifth double-double of the season in Tuesday’s win. (Photo Credit: Jen Reagan/Brockport Athletics)

The Brockport men’s basketball team wasted little time putting Saturday’s disappointing effort behind them as they connected on nine of their first 10 shots en route to defeating the Buffalo State Bengals, 63-48. The Golden Eagles would race out to a 45-24 lead in the first half before coasting across the finish line down the stretch.

Brockport was led by Caquan Wester who poured in 17 points on 7-of-10 shooting and grabbed 10 rebounds. It was a much-needed win for the Golden Eagles after dropping Saturday’s contest to Plattsburgh as they try to continue to keep pace atop the SUNYAC standings. 

“We were motivated after losing that last game, especially losing it at home,” Wester said. “We knew we had to go into this game with some different energy and we had to come out very strong, which we did. I think if we just keep coming out strong and playing hard it’s going to be a long couple weeks.”

It was the Wester show right out of the gates Tuesday. He scored nine of the first 20 for Brockport on 4-for-4 shooting. Danny Ashley’s jumper with just under eight minutes to play in the first pushed the margin to double figures and Brockport would maintain at least that edge until the final buzzer sounded.

In the second half, the Golden Eagles’ offense slowed considerably but they had built a margin great enough the Bengals could not overcome it. Buffalo State won the final 20 minutes 24-18 but it wouldn’t be enough for them to pick up a win for the first time this season. 

Alex Tavarez received his first starting nod of the season for Brockport and added 13 points in the victory while Nathaniel Gordon made it a trio of freshmen in double digits with 10. Nigel Burch led the Bengals with 13 points while Jacob Opare scored 11.

With the win Brockport (13-6, 9-4) remains in third place in the SUNYAC and just 0.5 game back of New Paltz (15-4, 9-3) for second place and the second first-round bye in the postseason. The two teams will square off Friday, Feb. 2 at the Hawk Center with tip-off scheduled for 7:30 p.m.