Jordan Thompson earns All-American honorable mention  

Thompson’s media day photos. Photo Credit: Kaite Wilson

On Nov. 28, the American Volleyball Coaches Association released their annual All-American teams and for the second straight year Brockport’s Jordan Thompson was honored with an honorable mention. This award comes after Thompson was named first team All-Region and SUNYAC first team. 

As an outside hitter, Thompson was a crucial part of a Brockport team that went 16-15 and made a run to the SUNYAC semifinals. A constant attacking threat, Thompson led the SUNYAC conference with 416 kills. She was just as dangerous on the serve, finishing with 50 aces, another team and league leading stat.  

“It definitely was a goal of mine since I got it last year,” Thompson said, referring to the All-American selection. “But I was never expecting it.”  

In her final year of eligibility, Thompson has made it one of her best seasons yet. She had a career-high 20 digs against Oneonta in early October, a category where she ranks second on the team. In the same game, Thompson recorded 23 kills, a season high. 

Despite her individual successes, Thompson had a team-first mentality. 

“My teammates and coaching staff helped and supported me more than they probably even know,” Thompson said. “I found my best friends and am definitely going to miss being a part of such a great family.” 

Finishing conference play with a record of 6-3, the Golden Eagles entered the postseason as the fourth seeded team. In a first round matchup against Buffalo State, Brockport easily dispatched the Bengals, defeating them in straight sets. Thompson led that match with 15 kills. She also added 14 digs and an ace. 

Brockport would fall to eventual champions SUNY Cortland in the semifinals, 3-1. In that game, Thompson made her presence known, contributing a game high 20 kills. 

As volleyball heads to the Empire 8 conference, Thompson has full faith in the team that she is ending her time with. 

“This team has so much talent and dedication,” Thompson said. “I can’t wait to see them grow and do big things.” 

After five years at Brockport and 13 of playing, it’s safe to say this is a bittersweet ending to a well-versed career.