Kyra Russ flips to SUNYAC Women’s Diver of the Week 

Kyra Russ started the season strong winning SUNYAC women’s diver of the week. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

Brockport’s Golden Eagles continue to shine and gain accolades across the athletics program. A new program enters the picture as women’s swimming and diving junior Kyra Russ picked up SUNYAC’s Women’s Diver of the Week award.

Russ won the award in Brockport’s first meet of the year this past weekend at the Cortland Pumpkin Relays. At the meet Russ placed first in the 1-meter along with the 3-meter dive, she also made her first NCAA cut.

“I was shocked by the fact that I made my first NCAA cut the first meet,” Russ said. “In the previous years, I made it towards the end of the season. To know that the season has just started and I am already where I was at the end of last year has made me feel very accomplished in my performance.” 

Russ spoke about how she had extra motivation to perform during the meet which allowed her to place first in both events she competed in.

“It felt amazing to place first on both boards. I will admit, I did have an extra incentive to do well at that meet because it was the first time that my parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles have ever come to a collegiate meet of mine. I am from Long Island, so it is a far drive to be able to come to my meets. Once I saw the familiar faces in the bleachers, I zoned in and made it my mission to do the best I could.” 

Russ credited her coach for her improvement and success and commends her teammates as they dive into their season.  

“I can credit my coach, Scott Horsington, a ton for my performance this year. We have really cracked down on my weaknesses and I am finally starting to put everything together.” 

“I was extremely proud of the team when we placed first at the Cortland Pumpkin Relays. It just shows how the team has grown and how we will continue to grow over the next few years. I am extremely proud to be a part of this team and see it make program history.” 

The Golden Eagles return home this weekend as they host a dual meet against the Oneonta Red Dragons with the meet set to kick off at 1 p.m.