Buchanan wins SUNYAC Defensive Athlete of The Week once again 

SUNY Brockport Field Hockey POTW Ella Buchanan. Photo Credit: Kaite Wilson

Ella Buchanan continues to be the brick wall behind Brockport field hockey’s success. Following a week in which they went 2-0, Buchanan was named the SUNYAC Defensive Athlete of the Week for the second time.  

In goal, Buchanan recorded a shutout in both games. Against Elmira, she had a quiet night, as Elmira was unable to record a shot, and the Golden Eagles cruised to a 10-0 victory.  

On Saturday, Brockport faced Oswego State in a critical league matchup. Buchanan proved crucial in net, playing all 60 minutes and thwarting Oswego’s attack, recording seven saves. The Golden Eagles would be victorious, winning 1-0. 

Overall, Buchanan has proved critical to Brockport’s defense. 

“I am taking advantage of every minute on the field,” Buchanan said. “I am really just enjoying the time I’m given.” 

In SUNYAC play, she ranks second overall in both save percentage and shutouts. The Golden Eagles have benefited tremendously from the stability she gives them. With a current record of 10-5, Brockport has recorded their first 10-win season since 2011.  

Despite the individual and team successes, Buchanan’s goals for the season are simple.  

“Make SUNYACs and outwork our competition,” Buchanan said.  

Brockport has a league record of 2-2 and sits in third place in the SUNYAC standings. They continue league play on Saturday, Oct. 21, against Morrisville State.