Brockport Football sweeps E8 weekly awards for first time 

Ben Gocella (left), Ben Robinson (middle) and Liam O’Mara (right) swept the E8 POTW honors. (Photos Credits: Brockport Athletics)

Following a dominant homecoming win, three Brockport football athletes were named the Empire 8 Conference’s Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week. This is the first time the Golden Eagles have swept these awards since joining the E8 in 2014. Ben Gocella, Ben Robinson and Liam O’Mara were all honored after helping Brockport to the 63-0 victory over Hartwick on Saturday. The Golden Eagles now sit at 5-1 on the season.  

In his freshmen campaign, quarterback Ben Gocella has been terrific, with a 4-0 record as a starter. Against Hartwick, Gocella threw for a career-high 219 passing yards and four touchdowns. This marks the first time since 2018 a Brockport quarterback has thrown for four scores in a single game. On the season, Gocella has thrown for over 600 yards and nine touchdowns. 

“I can name so many players that have been there for me so far on my football journey at Brockport and I am very grateful for all of them. The atmosphere in my first homecoming was electric as the fans really packed the stadium and the team put on a great performance,” Gocella said. 

On the defensive side of the ball, linebacker Ben Robinson has been an anchor in the Golden Eagle defense. Robinson led Brockport to their first shutout in over a year.  

“Our goal as a defense every week is to be the most aggressive and dominant team on the field at all times,” Robinson said. 

Against Hartwick, he showed that with a game-high 11 tackles, as well as 1.5 sacks, and forced a fumble. Robinson currently leads the Golden Eagles in both tackles and sacks for the season. 

Wide receiver Liam O’Mara earned Special Teams Player of the Week after several big plays. After a scoreless first quarter, O’Mara provided the spark Brockport needed to gain momentum, blocking a Hartwick punt in the second quarter, then returning a loose ball for 28 yards, putting the Brockport offense deep in Hartwick’s end. In addition to his special teams performance, O’Mara took a 49-yard reception into the endzone for his first career touchdown. 

Despite strong performances in every part of the field, the Golden Eagles are looking ahead on their schedule.  

“The team’s goals for this season are simple,” Robinson said. “We want it all. We want to go as far as we can, but it all starts with winning the next game on our schedule, and so on and so forth. Obviously, the E8 conference needs to be won before we can look past anything further, but in order to obtain that title we need to first win every game that comes next.”

Brockport will look to continue its hot streak on the road, traveling to SUNY Morrisville on Saturday, Oct. 21.