Brockport routs Elmira

Bailey Lazore racked up a hat trick in the win Wednesday. (Photo Credit: Kat Althouse/Brockport Athletics)

The SUNY Brockport Golden Eagles Field Hockey team dismantled the Elmira Eagles 10-0 off the back of seven different goal scorers including Bailey Lazore who recorded a hat trick.

Sophia Jones got the Golden Eagles started with an early goal in the second minute of the game. The Golden Eagles had four goals in the first quarter with Lazore scoring two of them and Paige Thowe finding the back of the net near the end of the first quarter.  

The second period saw the Golden Eagles show off their defensive prowess as they held the Eagles shotless. Five minutes into the second period Mia Herman gave the Golden Eagles a 5-0 lead. The Golden Eagles’ defense created opportunities for the offense, giving them possession for most of the period. 

Coming out into the second half the Golden Eagles came out even faster and more efficient. Lazore started the scoring in the second as she netted her hat trick in a memorable performance. To complement her Thowe also got in on the scoring fun with a late third-period score to make it 7-0.  

To start the fourth with the game in hand the Golden Eagles kept putting it on the Eagles with scores from Herman, Quinn Guy and Kelsey Zehr to make the lead double-digits. Guy had three assists and a goal on the night while Herman finished with two goals for the Golden Eagles. In total seven goal scorers got involved. 

Head Coach Krista Archambeau believes this game shows how much her team has progressed and improved throughout the season. 

“I think throughout the season we’re continuously getting better. Our motto is to get better every day, every game and just continuously do better than we did the day before.” 

Archambeau is thrilled to see Lazore and Thowe get their shine as players and is excited to see what they’ll bring to the table next. 

“Paige and Bailey are exceptional leaders; they come to work and practice every single day. They deserve it.” Archambeau said, “I’m happy to see the scoreboard reflect all the hard work that they put in and leadership on the team.” 

Lazore credited her teammates for her success. 

“Honestly, it was really a team effort. Like we just always pass and connect with each other, just being in the right spot at the right time,” Lazore said. “I was just always looking for the pass rather than just taking it, especially a team like this, just really have to work together.” 

Thowe is one of the team’s leaders and loved what she saw from her team. 

“We were really trying to work on the things that have been our goals for the past few weeks,” Thowe said. “And I think we did that… All around we really gelled today, and I think the score showed that. We’ve been knocked out of the SUNYAC the past few years by a singular point. So this being our last home game, and the game that will determine if we go to SUNYAC or not, for the first time in a long time it’s huge. There’s a lot riding on this game, but we’re looking better than ever and clicking more than ever, and we just got to keep it rolling.” 

The Golden Eagles improved to 9-4 with the win and are back at home against the Oswego State Lakers on Saturday, Oct. 14 at 11 a.m. in their final regular season home game.