Brockport finds their footing after beating Fredonia 

Coach Ed talking to the team.
Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr
Coach Ed talking to the team. Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr

Brockport tennis gets on the right track after beating Fredonia in a 6-3 win. It was a back-and-forth battle, but the Blue Devils were simply no match for the Golden Eagles. 

Brockport did not have an incredible amount of difficulty in winning doubles. Each grouping gelled together nicely and were relentless on defense. Fredonia could not seem to find ways to score on Brockport and started to give up more points as they got tired out. 

The Golden Eagles were able to force many rallies that put Fredonia on their heels throughout doubles. Brockport was consistent, allowing them to get the “doubles point.” 

For singles, the story was different. Fredonia started to capitalize on Brockport’s errors on serves and returns. There were more competitive where one of Brockport’s players were either up or down 5-3 in a set. 

Things began to get out of hand for Fredonia when Eliza Gonzalez and Olivia Raschiatore found their rhythms. Raschiatore was able to frustrate her opponent, forcing many errors and consistently playing solid defense. As for Gonzalez, she was very active offensively, as she put a ton of pressure on her opponent as well. 

Brockport managed to win at least three of the six singles matches, but the game was far from over. Lena Paolicelli battled things out for another hour as it was back-and-forth between her and her opponent. She managed to pull through and secure another victory for Brockport. 

Brockport may have won, but they definitely have some work to do. Coach Ed Gonzalez doesn’t want his team to get ahead of themselves during a match. 

“You got to take things one point at a time,” Gonzalez said.  

Brockport snagged their first SUNYAC victory this season and now sits at 2-5 going into their next match against Plattsburgh. The Cardinals are having a good season overall as they have a 7-4 record currently. Going into this match, Shannon Aubin understands how they need to view Plattsburgh compared to Fredonia. 

“You just got to go and look at it from a different viewpoint and give it your all,” Aubin said. “Anybody can win it on any given day, so you just have to give it your all and play smart.” 

The two SUNYAC schools will face off against one another at Plattsburgh State. The match is scheduled to start at 3 p.m. on Oct. 5.