Brockport loses heartbreaker against Oswego 

Jaylah Cossin fighting to keep the ball. Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr

The women’s soccer team continued their SUNYAC play against Oswego. The Golden Eagles fell just short against the Lakers in the final minute, losing 1-0.  

The game started out sluggishly for both teams as neither of them seemed to gain the upper hand. The Golden Eagles defense, a consistent threat for other teams, kept strong throughout the match. Brockport’s offense, which has been great all season, unfortunately missed their few opportunities to score.  

In the second half, the Golden Eagles came out faster and better on both sides of the pitch, giving them better chances to score. Brockport had seven shots on goal—two of which almost found the back of the net but were saved by Oswego’s goalie to keep the game at 0-0. The Lakers put up a shot with two minutes left until the final buzzer. Although the team played well through the final minutes, they still fell short. 

Head Coach Mike Idland still feels confident in his team to make plays and take advantage of big moments next time. 

“I’m not stressed out about it at all,” Idland said. “We have a moment with the team where we have to step up; meet the moment to tuck some of those chances away. I felt we had really good control of most of that game, and I would definitely welcome the chance to play them again.”  

Goalie Madeline McCrosson conceded a goal late in the game but was hopeful in bouncing back. 

“It’s definitely disappointing,” McCrosson said “We’ve been working so hard in the back of the field that it was going to happen eventually. Obviously, it’s not fun to have it happen and that be the loss that late in the game, but I’m so proud of how we played defensively. I know that it’s going to happen throughout the season, but we’re going to keep going strong and back.”  

McCrosson is in must win mode for conference play this Saturday. 

“We’re going to need it going into the rest of the SUNYAC. Our SUNYAC record is not what we want it to look like, but I know that we can fix it and winning games against Oneonta and all the teams after that it’s going to be really important and keep us in [playoffs].” McCrosson added. 

The Golden Eagles, now 8-2-1, are looking to turn it around quick with their next game at home against Oneonta in a big time SUNYAC game on Saturday at 11 a.m.