Brockport falls short to New Paltz 

Brockports Quinn Guy battles with Meghan Gunning of New Paltz on Saturday. (Photo Credit: Liv Metz/Brockport Athletics)
Brockport’s Quinn Guy battles with Meghan Gunning of New Paltz on Saturday. (Photo Credit: Liv Metz/Brockport Athletics)

Brockport’s field hockey team could not get on track Saturday as they lost 3-1 to New Paltz. Throughout most of the game, there was little to no offensive production for both teams. Both defenses played lights out and made it difficult for anyone to score. 

The first quarter did not bring out many results or game-changing events as the quarter ended scoreless. It was evident, though, that the Hawks were getting more opportunities on offense to score compared to Brockport as the Hawks outshot the Golden Eagles 4-1 in the first quarter. 

In the second quarter, fireworks began. Rachel Tama scored the first two goals for New Paltz, with Hannah Ackerman picking up an assist on the first. Ackerman played a role in setting up Miranda Britton on the third goal.

Brockport working the ball up field in the loss Saturday. (Photo Credit: Liv Metz/Brockport Athletics)

Those were the only three goals that New Paltz posted the rest of the way. The Golden Eagles’ defense forced numerous turnovers and goalie Ella Buchanan made many big saves throughout the game. Abby Chalmers felt like the defense stuck with it during the last half of the game. 

“I think we can always improve, but our defense all across the field looked really good,” said Chalmers. “We all stayed together, and we came back after they scored the goals.” 

Indeed, they did. Brockport showed some life in the third quarter with Bailey Lazore scoring for the Golden Eagles. Ultimately, the offense wasn’t able to sustain any pressure.

Tiffany Andres passing the ball ahead in Saturday’s loss. (Photo Credit: Liv Metz/Brockport Athletics)

Brockport struggled to maintain control of the ball without turning it over before entering opposing territory. They were unable to move the ball effectively off transitions, putting the Golden Eagles on their heels for most of the day. 

Brockport was outshot 16-8 by New Paltz. When it came to penalty corners, the Hawks earned more than doubled compared to the Golden Eagles. 

With the loss, Brockport falls to 6-2 while New Paltz improves to 6-1 on the season. Brockport Head Coach Krista Archambeau believes that this will not affect the team mentally. 

“We’re actually not rattled up,” said Archambeau. “We’ve just played two very strong teams in a row and we’re taking them both as learning lessons.” 

Ella Buchanan made six saves for Brockport in the loss Saturday. (Photo Credit: Liv Metz/Brockport Athletics)

Archambeau is not the only one who believes that as well. Chalmers believes the team is ready for anything. 

“I think we’re ready to show up,” said Chalmers. “We’re not afraid to play anybody else and we really want to make a name for ourselves in the SUNYAC.” 

Brockport will go on the road Tuesday to take on Roberts Wesleyan in hopes of getting back in the win column in a non-conference matchup. The Redhawks sit at 1-4 on the season and the tilt is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.