Brockport Women’s Soccer continues success, sweeps SUNYAC Athletes of the Week  

Madeline McCrossan (top) and Jaylah Cossin (bottom) were named the SUNYAC Defensive and Offensive Athletes of the Week for the week of Sept. 12-18. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

The two players have been major for their team, leading the women’s soccer team to a 6-1 start to the season. The program’s best start since 2012. 

Cossin has been superb in attack as she leads the team in total points with 11 to her name. She has six assists placing her tied for third nationally in the respective stat.  

“My team has been a crucial part of any success I’ve had on the field this year. Any stat I’m putting up is a reflection of a whole team behind me putting in the work to get the job done. I couldn’t be more grateful for that,” Cossin said.  

Cossin also has an impressive five goals on the season. 

“I think a crucial part to success in athletics is staying healthy, so I try my best to eat well, stay hydrated, and sleep enough. But honestly, I think it’s by continuing to remember why I’m out there, and it’s because I really love the game and I love my team so as to not lose touch of the enjoyment of it all and to just go out there and do my thing,” Cossin said. 

“My defenders have been amazing to play with and are such a huge part of our defending success. They have been strong and relentless, and it has been so much fun to have them in front of me,” McCrosson said.  

McCrosson also credits her team’s communication as a key factor.  

“Communication has been huge for our team. We have been keeping each other on track and holding each other responsible all over the field and I think this has really been a key to our success so far. I think we can continue our impressive performances by just continuing to play each game how we want to play. We want to be a difficult team to defend and a difficult team to score against and I think if we just continue to do so our performances will stay at this level.” 

Brockport started SUNYAC play strongly as they defeated Buffalo State 2-0 away from home. The team will look to take that form into their next game as they travel to face the Plattsburgh State Cardinals on Saturday.