Brockport victorious in home opener 

The Brockport volleyball team celebrating a set win Tuesday night. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

It took until the ninth game for the Brockport Golden Eagles volleyball team to play at home, but they opened in style taking down the Rochester Institute of Technology Tigers 3-1. The two teams split the opening two sets with Brockport winning 25-21 before RIT took the second set 25-20. Brockport was able to take control and win the final two sets 25-17 and 26-24. 

The win moved Brockport to 3-6 on the season and ended a two-game losing streak that saw the Golden Eagles lose twice in five sets. 

The third set proved to be the turning point for Brockport to take control of the match after a tightly contested first two frames. Opposite hitter Jordan Thompson knows her team has what it takes to put together more performances like this one. 

Megan Loomis celebrating one of her eight kills in Tuesday’s win over RIT. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

“We got a little bit inconsistent but honestly, we just come down to as a team we need to come together and bring the energy up. We know that we’re talented and we just got to execute what we know and with the energy we have and with the momentum we bring to the court,” Thompson said. 

The Golden Eagles were able to ride Thompson’s efforts to the win as she finished with a team-high 15 kills. Leah Vitiello contributed 12 kills on the night while Ashley Allen and Kaitlyn Jewett set the table for their hitters with 24 and 22 assists respectively. Defensively, libero Elise Logan had 15 digs while also adding four aces. 

Vitiello, a transfer from Dutchess Community College, was happy to be at home for the first time this season. 

“We actually said in our huddle, ‘this is our sacred place.’ So, it was good to come here and play our first game and get a win,” Vitiello said. 

First-year Brockport Head Coach Jim Clar meanwhile also remains confident in his team despite the early struggles. 

“We just don’t worry about the record and do our job every day. If we’re working on the little things and getting better and making small improvements every day, we’ll be fine,” Clar said. 

Vitiello put it simply in regard to her team. 

“We’re a good team and when we’re on we’re on,” Vitiello said. 

Brockport heads on the road once again this time to Pennsylvania to play in the Messiah Tournament on Friday, Sept. 22 and Saturday, Sept. 23.