Full house at student drag show

(Photo provided by Jillian Menzie)

The Brockport Pride Association and the Harlequins Club collaborated to put on a drag show on Tuesday April 11. With seven different student performers, it was an hour and a half full of music, dancing, lip-syncing, and fun.   

SUNY Brockport encourages student expression and creativity through the many on campus events that are offered such as Drag Bingo, Second Chance Prom, The Lavender Ceremony and many more. Junior Jillian Menzie spoke about her performance and what it meant to her.   

“It made me feel empowered and grateful that here we get to show who we are and not be afraid of being ourselves. Brockport allows us the space and openness so that we don’t have to hide, we as in the LGBTQ+ community,” Menzie said.  

Being a public school, Brockport. Offers many inclusive and diverse events on campus. Many students feel fortunate to have an event like this offered, but a raise a question how. Many other campuses host events like a drag show, student Robbie Merrill elaborates.   

“I have only really heard of drag shows being held in cities not campuses, I had never been to one before and I was surprised Brockport offered an event like this. I think it’s great how inclusive they are, I hope other colleges follow suit. I think the fact that Brockport is a public school plays a part of the diverse events offered on campus. When choosing a college to attend, I wonder if anyone looks at the inclusive differences between the two.” Merrill said.  

It was a packed audience inside the Black Box theater in the Tower of Fine Arts. The music and lights were captivating as performers sang and danced with one another. The performers interacted with the audience, which made the environment welcoming.   

“The Drag Show was a good way for students to express themselves and bring communities together, while reliving stress for the audience as they were able to have fun and interact with the performers,” Merrill said.  

Brockport will continue to host events like this, as the Brockport Pride Association will be planning events for the Fall 2023 semester.  

“We get to shine in spite of the many hateful things and push back that the world gives. If putting on the drag show and being who we are helps to make just one person more comfortable here, then we are making an impact” Menzie stated.