Meet next year’s Brockport Student Government candidates 

Photo credit: Google Open Source

Brockport student government elections are fast approaching, and a fresh set of candidates are looking to secure positions. Here is a closer look at the candidates running for president and vice president.  

President Candidate – Lily Wegerski 

Wegerski is from Syracuse, NY, and is entering her senior year next fall. She is majoring in dance and is running with Tiana Jackson as her VP. Wegerski has been a highly involved member of the Brockport community. She has served as captain and media/publicity director of the Brockport Dance Team, treasurer of the Brockport Student Dance Organization, chair of the Club Sports Executive Council and as a member in Brockport’s college radio station 89.1 The Point and Delta Phi Epsilon Sorority Inc. She has also worked as a student organization assistant in Student Union Leadership & Activities. Wegerski says her main goal if elected would be “maintaining an inclusive climate where all feel safe to speak up to create positive, meaningful change.” 

President Candidate – Juan Morales Perez 

Morales Perez is majoring in sociology and public health and is running with Tegan Hughston as VP. Morales Perez currently works as an academic council senator and serves as president of the Sociology Club. Morales Perez hopes as president to “create a BSG where the ideals of equity diversity and inclusion (EDI) are upheld.” Morales Perez hopes to focus on increasing student engagement and providing safe spaces for marginalized groups.  

Vice President Candidate – Tiana Jackson 

Jackson is from Queens, NY, and is entering her senior year in the fall. She is majoring in nursing and is running with Lily Wegerski. Jackson currently works alongside Wegerski as a member of the Brockport Dance Team and as a student organization assistant in Student Union Leadership & Activities. By running, Jackson hopes to give “the entire student body of SUNY Brockport someone they can depend on and [someone to] enhance their college experience.” 

Vice President Candidate – Tegan Hughston 

Hughston is from Cortland, NY, and is majoring in international relations and communications. Hughston is running with Morales Perez. Hughston has worked as a Senator for the previous two semesters and hopes to continue to expand on that work as vice president. Hughston is also on the student board for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and hopes to further the purpose of BSG by “listening to peers’ needs and meeting them to the best of our ability in order to better the campus as a whole.”