Men’s lacrosse: buzzer beater loss at home 

Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr

The men’s lacrosse team played their second home game of the season yesterday, Wednesday, March 22. While their efforts brought them back in the game and tied the match, the Nazareth Golden Flyers broke the tie to win in the final six seconds of the game. 

Two members of the Green and Gold stood out. Jhovanny Oliviares and Nate Askin’s goals made up more than half of the teams points. Oliviares, despite the loss, led the team’s offense and finished with a very efficient stat line. Only taking nine shots, five of which were on goal, Oliviares shot 44% on the night, going four for nine. He finished the game tying his career high five points. Alongside Oliviares, Askin added a hit trick, two of which were unassisted. Askin finished with four points.  

Carson Colucci, Ryan McCarthy, Ben Hay, Jack Peterson, Oliviares and Askin shared the ball well. All six players finished the game with one assist.  

The Golden Flyers started the game strong, scoring within the first three minutes of the first period. Askin scored the first goal for the Golden Eagles, but Nazareth quickly answered back. Scoring went back and forth through the first 15 minutes. The end of the first period score was 3-2 with Nazareth up.  

Once again, the Golden Flyers found the net early in the second period. Both teams scored back to back man-up goals. Each team scored another two goals. Nazareth held the advantage 7-4 going into halftime.  

Coming out the second, both scored twice. The teams were going goal for goal. Askin scored about halfway through the third, and just over a minute later, Nazareth scored. Towards the end of the period, Oliviares earned a goal as well. The Golden Flyers answered back to the scored goal in less than a minute. 

With a score of 9-6 finishing the third period, the Golden Flyers were again the first to score in the final period. It did not take long for the Golden Eagles to answer. The Green and Gold would score four consecutive goals. Three of the team’s four final goals were scored just a minute apart from each other. The score remained 10-9 until the last two minutes of regulation.  

Hay found the net in crunch time and tied the game 10-10 with under two minutes left of play. The Golden Eagles fought through the finish, but Nazareth was able to snag the buzzer beating goal. The game concluded with a 10-11 loss for Brockport.  

There was also a strong defensive effort from many of the Golden Eagles. Goalie Cameron Kuzinar had a game and career high 19 saves on the night. Anthony McGee grabbed six ground balls to gain the offensive advantage for his team. Aidan Long, Tim Hubbard, Kuzniar and Oliviares each caused one turnover.  

The Green and Gold are now 2-5 overall. They will host Oswego State on Saturday, March 25 at 3 p.m.