Brockport posts strong showing at nationals

Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics via Flickr

Brockport had five athletes represent them this weekend at the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Championships in Birmingham, AL. These athletes were able to show out on the big stage. 

Kicking off nationals for Brockport was Mia Montgomery. She was able to place 14th in the nation in the women’s long jump with a score of 5.44 meters. Montgomery is a nursing major and is currently in her senior year. Being able to participate in nationals was a special moment for Montgomery. 

“Competing at nationals is something I’ve always wanted to do, you’re competing against the best of the best, it was one of the best experienced I’ve ever had,” Montgomery said. “The overall experience consisted of great people, great food, and just overall a great experience I’ll never forget.” 

Being an athlete you’re able to learn things about yourself both when it comes to your athletic career, as well as your real life self. This happened for Montgomery.  

“This season I learned that if you really put in the work you will get the results you want. I learned I have great self discipline, mental toughness, and great self motivation,” Montgomery said. 

Sarah Crockett qualified to participate in two events on the weekend. The first being weight throw where she posted a distance of 16.29 meters. That was good enough for 18th place. The second event Crockett competed in was the women’s shot put. Crockett posted a score of 13.01 meters which was good for 18th place. Crockett was in a different situation than her teammates having to train for and compete in two events as opposed to one. 

“It was challenging to prepare for two field events because they were on two separate days. That gave me enough time to recover. However, when it came to practice times, I would be practicing two events in one day. I would have to split my focus between both events instead of competing for just one,” Crockett said. 

The final athletes to represent the Golden Eagles at Nationals were senior Josh Jeziorski, junior Jonathan Zavala and freshman Dustin Meyer.  

Zavala put up a time of 4:09.48 which was good enough for 13th in the men’s mile. However, only the top ten finishers advanced to the finals, thus ending Zavala’s season early. Meyer and Jeziorski both ended their seasons top 20 in their respective events. Meyer competed in the pole vault, while Jeziorski competed in the the long jump.

As the indoor track and field season comes to an end these Golden Eagles will now get ready for the outdoor season which begins on March 31 at the Geneseo Early Season Invitational.