Meditation and mochi: the best cure for midterms 

Arrad Tausif and Joey Bessinger practicing their balancing skills. Photo credit: Graciella Dressler

Midterms week can be stressful, and SUNY Brockport works hard to help their students. One of the ways the college accommodates these stressed-out students is through small programs hosted by resident assistants (RAs). 

On Wednesday, March 8, Eagle Hall RA Arrad Tausif hosted a program called “Mochi and Meditation.” Students across campus were invited to come to Eagle Hall and cool down from the heat of midterms with some delicious mochi. Afterwards, Tausif led the students in a relaxing 10-minute meditation.  

SUNY Brockport Living Learning Communities (LLC) program was created as a way for students with similar interests to live in the same buildings.  

“Since I am a part of the intercultural LLC, I have to host two programs every semester. I thought this program would a great way to tie together Japanese culture with a snack and some meditation,” Tausif said.  

Spending a small amount of time practicing meditation can allow lower stress levels and help maintain inner peace according to the Mayo Clinic.  

Tausif acknowledged lately he has felt stressed by his classes. 

“I thought this was a good time because people are probably really stressed out and dealing with anxiety of midterms. So, I thought a little bit of meditation might help them out,” Tausif said.  

Whether it’s attending a small de-stressor event or taking a study break, its important students don’t burn themselves out and make sure they take care of themselves.  

For those looking to join an LLC more information can be here.