Brockport gymnastics split on senior day 

Photo+Credit%3A+Mathieu+Starke+
Photo Credit: Mathieu Starke

It was Senior Day for the No. 1 ranked Brockport gymnastics team as they welcomed Cortland and Cornell for Saturday’s tri-meet. Brockport posted a score of 192.00 to go 1-1 on the day. Cortland posted a score of 186.950 while Cornell edged out Brockport with a score of 192.125.  

Brockport’s six seniors, Madison Baker, Lauren Blair, Kyra Figurelli, Gabbi Gare, Rachel Swick and Emmie White, were honored following the meet for their contributions to the program. Gare had mixed emotions on her final home meet. 

“Today was a bittersweet moment for all of us,” Gare said. “From losing a whole season due to the pandemic to navigating a coaching change, this senior class has persevered since day one. Today was a moment for us to appreciate how far we’ve come.” 

Figurelli expressed a sense of gratitude for her time at Brockport. 

“I have been so blessed and honored to compete for Brockport gymnastics,” Figurelli said. “My fellow seniors and I felt nothing but joy being able to celebrate our time with Brockport gymnastics at home one last time. I am proud of everything this team has accomplished and sad that this chapter of my life is coming to an end.” 

Brockport began their first rotation on the vault, posting a meet high score of 48.625. Maren Eramo led the way with a 9.800 and tied for the highest vault score of the day. Sydney Schumaker was just behind her posting 9.750. Figurelli and Emma Grace Sargent both scored a 9.700. Blair added on with a score of 9.675. 

Next up for the Golden Eagles was the uneven bars. Once again, Brockport led the day with a team score of 47.700. Tayler Bushey took second with a score of 9.725 on the bars. Swick and Grace Sargent tied for third, posting a score of 9.625. Gare and Schumaker scored 9.350 and 9.275 respectively. 

Brockport would next move to the balance beam. The Golden Eagles scored 46.675 on the beam to bring their running total up to 142.000. Natalie Galioto led the Green and Gold with a 9.600, good for fourth at the meet. Maya Pecoraro finished with a 9.450, Olivia Stinnette a 9.400, White 9.250 and Miranda LaRobardiere rounded things out with an 8.975. 

On the final rotation Brockport took to the floor posting a season-high 49.000. Figurelli, the defending national champion, took first place at the meet with a new career best score of 9.925, tying the school record. Blair finished just behind with a 9.900, earning second place. Swick, Pecoraro and Galioto all finished with a score of 9.725. 

Brockport heads into regionals next week seeking their third consecutive title following a 15-3 regular season. Gare believes her team’s success comes from how close of a group they have become. 

“I believe we find our success through the bond we have created together,” Gare said. “We’ve generated some serious team chemistry in the last few months. We want to see each other succeed, we truly care and believe in each other. This team knows what it takes to represent Brockport gymnastics. We put our heart and soul into this team day in and day out.” 

Figurelli echoed a similar sentiment on this team’s success. 

“The biggest key for our success is confidence and a great team dynamic,” Figurelli said. “We are a family; we want everyone to do their very best and we support each other through everything. When we compete, we do it for the team. Whether you are competing in lineups or cheering on the side the team needs each member to succeed.” 

The National Collegiate Gymnastics Association East Regional will be held at Collegeville, PA next weekend March 11 and 12. The top ranked Golden Eagles will then look ahead to NCGA Championship Saturday, March 28.