Swimming in the fast lane 

Photo Credit: Haley Brown

A record set over three decades ago did not stand a chance against this 400 medley relay team. Miya Vitale, Addy Martino, Emily LeFrois-Heath and Sawyer Parker beat the 33-year-old Fulton Pool record by 5.5 seconds. Vitale, Martino and LeFrois-Heath stood hand-in-hand as Parker finished out the relay and turned the chapter for this team. 

Three of the four relay members are freshmen, their impact in just their first year is worth noting. The work they put in on a daily basis set them up for success. LeFrois-Heath was extremely proud to have her name in the record books.  

“I feel that it means a lot to the history of the Brockport women’s team,” LeFrois-Heath said. “A record is like a goal time, individual or relay, and the feeling of achieving that is one of the best moments you can have in your swimming career. It’s also really cool to just see your name up there.”  

Freshman Vitale was not only proud of their accomplishment, but also motivated by it.   

“It was a very special moment to break the 33-year-old record, not by just one second, but five seconds. I think it would be nice for us next year to beat it by even more,” Vitale said.   

All four of the members agreed that while swimming is something they love to do, being with the team makes it even more special. The team has the family and welcoming feeling that most athletes wish to experience especially as they start their collegiate careers.   

Senior Sawyer Parker has noticed the difference of impact this team has had compared to others.  

“This year I feel like the team has been closer than ever before. It’s a team that I’m proud to go into SUNYACs [with] and say ‘we can do this,’” Parker said.   

This group is not reveling in their victory. Their focus remains on breaking more records and seeing overall progress in themselves.   

Freshman Martino not only wants to break pool records, but break school records. Her focus is mainly on the breaststroke along with rebreaking the medley relay.   

Vitale’s goal is to set new records for the 100-meter backstroke and 200-meter backstroke while continuing to see overall improvements with all of her strokes.   

Freshman LeFrois-Heath already has her name written down. At the team’s midseason meet, she broke the 400-meter Individual Medley record. In addition to her teammates, LeFrois-Heath has hopes of breaking more records in multiple events over the next three years.   

Parker’s collegiate career ends after this season. Although breaking records and achieving goals plays a huge role in the world of athletics, Parker wanted to walk away with something more sentimental.  

“It’s more important for me to look back and say ‘I had a good time,’ and not ‘I wish I would have gone one second faster.’ I look back and say ‘I smiled that day,’” Parker said.   

Luckily for three of the four members of this relay there are more records to be broken.