Useful skills to help manage ADHD 

Photo credit: Isabel Costello

Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is an uncurable condition. Everyone experiences symptoms of ADHD, diagnosed or not, but they can be managed with different techniques.  

On Feb. 8, SUNY Brockport’s Hazen Counseling Center offered a workshop on skills for managing ADHD. This was just one of many new workshops the counseling center is offering through spring 2023. When discussing ADHD, Frank Noll explains the stigma revolving around seeking help or acceptance tends to follow many students.  

“Bringing awareness to ADHD can remove the stigma many people and students feel associated with and around mental health,” Noll said. 

When looking at the symptoms of ADHD, there are two forms to focus on. There is inattention ADHD, which includes symptoms such as difficulty staying focused, missing minor details and being forgetful of tasks. Then there is the hyperactivity and impulsivity side of ADHD. Symptoms often include fidgeting, trouble staying still and being excessively talkative. Accepting the discomfort with these symptoms is one of the first steps to managing ADHD.  

“Most people don’t realize their avoidance tendencies, so mapping out schedules can give someone something tangible, something physical to hold themselves accountable,” Noll said.  

The workshop offered many tips regarding the management of ADHD such as breaking down goals into smaller tasks. Creating a focus plan is important, as distractions can be eliminated, materials and supplies can be listed and physical preparation can make the task more controllable.  

Hazen’s tips for managing ADHD include the following: 

– Creating structure  

– Setting time aside for relationships  

– Stay organized  

– Tailor environment to you 

– Live a healthy lifestyle  

Students facing ADHD symptoms can visit the Academic Success Center for Student Accessibility Services, advisement and student success workshops. The Counseling Center at Hazen can also provide ADHD management skills, mental health and wellness skills and time management techniques.