Women’s indoor track and field take first at Brockport Multi & Invitational  

Photo credit: Liv Metz

The Brockport indoor track and field teams continued to post strong results as they hosted the Brockport Multi & Invitational meet this past weekend. The women’s team finished in first place with 147 points. There were 19 teams in total that competed across the 19 events. Sophomore distance runner Mia Vizcaino was thrilled with her team’s performance. 

“There is no better feeling than taking first place with my team. We came in and had one goal in mind; to have fun and race hard,” Vizcaino said. “We did and it paid off. It’s amazing to see and I’ve never been prouder.” 

Brockport was led by the throwers who were dominant once again. Brockport secured 22 of the available 39 points in the shot put and 19 of the 39 points in the weight throw. Leading the way was Sarah Crockett who took first place in both events. Crockett posted a mark of 13.29 meters in the shot put and 16.67 meters in the weight throw. Also scoring in the shot put were Trinity Dees in second place (11.58), Katrina Chandler in sixth place (11.30) and Emma Kinnicutt in eighth (10.94). In the weight throw Kinnicutt placed third (15.19), Chandler took seventh (14.38) and Lainey Porter was eight (14.21) to round out the scoring.  

The Golden Eagles snagged 15 points in the 3000-meter. Kerry Flower led with a first-place finish in 10:26.62. Veronica Dailey finished fourth with a time of 10:41.33. Leah Siegmann and Olivia Furman took second and third in the 5000-meter with times of 19:22.31 and 19:24.93 to secure 14 points for Brockport. 

The team also earned 10 points by winning a pair of relay events, taking first in the 4×400 and distance medley relay (DMR). Courtney Bostic, Jennifer Metz, Clara Sensini, and Sarah Levine posted a time of 4:04.38 to win the 4×400. Mia Vizcaino, Vanessa Ramos, Julianne Wilson, and Meredith Masker teamed up to win the distance medley relay at a time of 13:14.09. Vizcaino ran the final leg of the DMR. 

“I raced the last leg which was the mile. We were holding onto first place that whole time. When it was my turn, I just kept thinking “I can’t lose this place, I can’t lose this place, everyone did their part. I need to do mine.” I wanted to finish off the day with a win. I wanted to win for my team,” Vizcaino said. “Running the mile in the DMR is not the same as when you’re running it in an open event. The time on the clock is already going, so you can’t see the times you’re hitting. So it’s easy to think you’re running slower than you actually are or faster than you actually are.” 

Brockport tacked on 13 additional points in the high jump. Michaela Levesque cleared 1.59 meters to claim second place. Sarah Killip cleared 1.54 meters to finish fourth place in the event. 

The Golden Eagles will be splitting up next weekend as they compete at two different meets. One group will head to Boston University for the David Hemery Invitational on Feb. 10 and 11. Another group will be at Susquehanna University Feb. 10 for the River Hawk Friday Invitational.