Brockport pulls out victory over Potsdam 

Photo Credit: Haley Brown

The Brockport men’s basketball team were able to grind out a win over Potsdam 67-58. With the victory the Golden Eagles moved to 16-4 overall on the season and 11-2 in SUNYAC play. The win also clinched a SUNYAC playoff berth for Brockport. It will be the twenty-third consecutive season the men will advance into postseason play, including all fifteen seasons with Head Coach Greg Dunne at the helm.  

The Golden Eagles were sluggish early on as Potsdam built a 26-16 lead with 8:01 left in the first half. Brockport eventually settled in and took a 34-30 edge to the locker room. Brockport shot just 1-14 from three in the first half, as the Bears often dared them to shoot from distance. 

The shooting struggles continued into the second half as Brockport was unable to create any separation from the Bears. Potsdam was able to hang around and eventually rally all the way back to take a 58-56 lead with 3:37 to play. From there the Golden Eagles defense held the Bears without another point in the game. Brockport got a Mekhi Beckett lay-up and free throws from Jahidi Wallace and Tony Arnold to close out the victory. 

Photo Credit: Haley Brown

Brockport finished the game shooting 4-24 from distance and 23-70 overall from the field. Wallace spoke on how teams have adjusted against them defensively. 

“I think we are too in our heads. The way teams are defending us now is a little different, just playing us in the paint and daring us to shoot,” Wallace said. “We just have to have confidence in what we’re doing and where we’re going. Even though they’re playing us like that still drive with a purpose.” 

Wallace finished with a game high 16 points and eight rebounds. Beckett scored 13, while Arnold added 10 points, eight rebounds and four steals. David Grady posted another double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds, his fourth in a row and sixth of the season. Grady also added four blocks on the night for the Golden Eagles. 

The Golden Eagles will next be in action at The Vlog Saturday against Plattsburgh State.